Grading Permits

The Unified Development Ordinance requires that developments obtain a grading permit to help insure measures are taken to prevent erosion/sediment/pollutants from leaving your development site during grading and construction.

A grading permit is required for all development. Depending on the type of development proposed, complete the grading section of theSingle Family Residential Application or the Commercial/MultiFamily Application.

No permit is necessary if grading less than 500 square feet.

If the disturbed area is 500 square feet but less than 10,000, a sketch plan must be submitted for review with the permit application showing the disturbed area and the proposed erosion control measures. If the disturbed area is 10,000 square feet or larger, three sets of grading plans must be completed by a professional civil engineer and submitted for review with permit application. Four sets of plans are required if the disturbed area is one acre or larger.

Grading Permit Fee

When submitting the City of Asheville permit application, please include the processing fee that applies to you. The amount of the fee is dependent on the square feet of the disturbed area.

After the grading and erosion control review has been completed and the plans are approved, a permit package will be issued so that erosion control measures can be installed and then the grading can begin.

During the grading and construction process, there will be periodic inspections to check that the erosion control measures are being maintained on Level II or higher development projects. Go to the Development Services page to help determine the level of your proposed development project.


Send application by mail to:
City of Asheville
Development Services Department
P.O. Box 7148
Asheville, NC 28802

Application by delivery
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

161 South Charlotte Street
Public Works Building
Permit Application Center

Development Services Department
Stormwater Plan Reviewer: Ric Ledford
Public Works Building, 161 South Charlotte Street, First Floor
P. O. Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802
(828) 259-5411

Development Services Department
Stormwater Services Coordinator: Vacant
Public Works Building, 161 South Charlotte Street, First Floor
P. O. Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802
(828) 259-5456