Accessory Dwelling Units

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an accessory dwelling unit?

An ADU is a separate and complete dwelling unit having its own kitchen, bathroom, and living space sharing the same lot as a primary dwelling unit. An ADU can be a detached ADU, such as a stand-alone cottage or it can be an attached ADU, which means that it exists with the primary structure, like a basement or attic apartment.

Why does Asheville permit ADUs?

ADUs have always been allowed in Asheville. They provide practical housing options for the elderly, empty nesters, young students, and new families, and can provide additional rental income for homeowners. ADUs can help to provide needed housing and do not require the extra expense of purchasing land, can be developed by converting existing structures, and do not usually require the extension of city infrastructure for the additional housing units.


Can I build one?

If you live in a residential zoning district, one ADU is allowed on each lot that contains or will contain a single-family home. Be sure there are no private restrictive covenants that disallow ADUs on your parcel, which may be recorded with the deed. The issuance of a permit does not eliminate the responsibility of a property owner to comply with applicable private covenant restrictions.


Do I need a permit?

Yes! You are required to get a permit through the Development Services Department before any work begins. We also recommend that you get a professional survey to be sure you comply with setback requirements and to understand the precise location of utilities (gas, sewer, water, etc).


I’m in a Historic District. Can I build an ADU?

Yes, ADUs are permitted in local historic districts. In addition to any other necessary permits, ADUs in historic districts require a Major Work Certificate of Appropriateness with review by the Historic Resources Commission (HRC). The design would be reviewed based on the guidelines set forth by the district, which may be more restrictive than the underlying zoning. Get to know your local historic district guidelines before developing ADU plans. Learn more or contact HRC staff by phone at 828-259-5638 or online at


What is the Process?

Step 1

Submit an application and plans to the Development Services Department (161 S. Charlotte St, Asheville, NC 28801, 828-259- 5846). The application and plans will be reviewed for compliance with the applicable standards for ADU’s. You will be notified of any potential issues.

Step 2

Once plans are approved and a permit is issued, you may begin work. Regular inspections will be required as you complete the various phases of your project.




Related Services

permits folder resting on computer keyboard
Apply for a trade permit

Apply for residential and commercial electrical, gas piping, plumbing, mechanical, re-roof, or multi-trade permits.

Accessory Dwelling Units News

trees and houses
Asheville City Council hears tree canopy protection amendment

    At Asheville City Council’s Aug. 25 meeting, City staff presented an ordinance focused on the preservation, enhancement and expansion of the City’s tree canopy as it relates to private land development activity.    The proposed changes will ask developers to consider the tree canopy and require that they keep a portion of the trees in place, plant [...]

Outdoor spaces graphic
City of Asheville expands flexibility for business use of sidewalks in addition to private lots

    The City of Asheville is committed to advancing ways of using space to support economic recovery and community needs while prioritizing public health and safety, and recognizes the importance of being flexible and nimble as needs and priorities evolve. In response to stakeholder input and public health guidance, the City is launching new initiatives to [...]

Asheville parking meters
City of Asheville resumes parking meter fees and enforcement

  Beginning Monday, June 1, the City of Asheville will resume collecting regular parking fees for on-street, metered parking.  Enforcement of fee payment will also resume.     Garage parking in City and County garages will remain free until further notice.  City monthly parking permit fees will also continue to be suspended until further notice.  Buncombe county monthly parking [...]