Trade permits allow for permitting and inspection of projects with single and multiple trades when a building permit is not required. Trade permits may be issued for commercial or residential property and cover mechanical, plumbing, electrical or gas work.

Combinations of these trades can be permitted using a multi-trade permit when the scope of work entails mechanical or plumbing as the primary trade. 

Specific projects permitted using a multi-trade permit include:

  • HVAC replacements ad system installation
  • Water heater changeout/installation 
  • Generators that are primarily electric with gas work

All trades must be listed at the time a multi-trade permit is requested.



How to Apply for a Trade Permit

You may apply for residential or commercial trade permits by logging into the City of Asheville’s Citizen Access website. 

Accela Citizen Access (login required)

If you need assistance with your trade permit please contact or 828-259-5846.

Follow these steps to apply online for a trade permit:

  1. Navigate to the City of Asheville’s Citizen Access website.
  2. Click “New Users: Register for an account” under the blue login fields
  3. Follow the steps on the account registration page to set up a new account. 
  4. Once registration is complete, login to the Citizen Access website using your new account credentials to start a new trade permit application. 

Click here for a step-by-step guide to applying for a trade permit online.


Contact Information

Development Services Department