The Public Works Department provides essential core services that include construction and maintenance of City streets, sidewalks, and stormwater infrastructure as well as solid waste management to Asheville citizens and visitors in a prompt, professional, efficient, and safe manner. The dedicated employees of the Public Works Department strive to provide these services equitably to all neighborhoods in a manner that reflects our emphasis on quality customer service, environmental stewardship, fiscal responsibility, and transparency. The department is led and directed by the Administration division and internally supported by the Fleet Management and Asset Management (GIS) divisions.
Have an Issue?
Report an issue through The Asheville App or call 828-251-1122.
Division specific issues:
Sanitation: Missed collection (trash/brush) ♦ roll cart issue ♦ Illegal dumping/littering ♦ Overgrown lot
Stormwater: Drainage issue ♦ Flooding
Streets: Potholes ♦ Graffiti ♦ Sidewalk hazard ♦ Trees in the right-of-way/street ♦ Snow removal
- Trash/Recycling Collection
- Brush Collection
- Bulky Item/Appliance Collection
- Special Services
- Sanitation Ordinance Enforcement
Visit the Sanitation Division page for more information.
- Install and maintain storm drain infrastructure
- Ditches and trenches to help control the flow of rain water down public streets
- Street sweeping
- Working with the Development Services Department to issue permits for grading/erosion control/flood control and stormwater ordinance enforcement
Visit the Stormwater Division page for more information.
- Installation, maintenance, repair, and revitalization of:
- Street & sidewalk closures
- Tree trimming
- Mowing in the right-of-way
- Street sweeping in the Central Business District after normal working hours
- Snow removal
- Encroachment Agreements
- Utility cut permits
Visit the Streets Division page for more information.