How your City government works
The City of Asheville operates under a council-manager form of government. The Asheville City Council establishes the city’s policies. The City Council is made up of a mayor and six council members who are elected at-large for four-year, staggered terms. The City Council appoints a city manager who oversees day-to-day city operations and executes Council-established laws and policies. The city manager also ensures the entire community is being served.
The role of City Council
- About the council-manager form of government
- What can the City Council make policy about?
- How City Council makes decisions
Your City Council
- Watch LiveStream of City Council Meeting
- City Council Meeting Materials
- Search City Council Meeting Minutes
- City Council Committees