The Legal Services Department is dedicated to supporting the mission, direction and goals of the City Council by providing high quality legal services to the City of Asheville.
About the Department
The Legal Services Department advises and represents the City of Asheville in all settings where legal advice and representation are needed or requested. The department provides advice to City Council, the city manager, city departments, and boards and commissions. The goals of the department include:
- Implement city goals and objectives through appropriate legal processes.
- Assist in the development and presentation of legislative programs.
- Initiate or defend legal action as necessary in support of city goals and objectives.
- Provide research and advice to City Council in support of Council initiatives.
- Provide continued high quality legal service to internal as well as external customers.
- Provide or arrange for effective legal representation for all lawsuits.
The City Attorney’s Office advises City Council and City departments. Unfortunately, due to constraints imposed by the State Bar’s Rules of Professional Conduct, the City Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice to members of the general public, or answer questions regarding City Ordinances or regulations. If you have a need for legal advice, you should consult with a licensed attorney. Factual inquiries or feedback about City matters may be directed to the City’s Communications and Public Engagement department.