Fees, Codes and Ordinances



Development Services Fee Schedule


City of Asheville’s Unified Development Ordinances (UDO)


The Asheville Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) outlines requirements for development in Asheville in Chapter 7 – Development.


City of Asheville’s Standard Specifications and Details Manual (SSDM)


The City of Asheville’s Standard Specifications and Details Manual establishes development requirements that protect the public health, safety, and welfare through the provision and maintenance of public or private infrastructure improvements related to developing, redeveloping, and subdividing land, as well as providing necessary rights-of-way, transportation and utility services.

City Council adopted an updated edition of the Standard Specifications and Details Manual on May 13, 2014. The second revision of this edition was approved by City Council on June 14, 2016.

Notice: this manual does not contain a water distribution section. Contact the Water Resources Department for the latest version of the Water Design and Construction Manual.


North Carolina Building Code


2018 Code Update

Notice: Residential plans submitted after January 1, 2019 shall comply with the 2018 North Carolina Residential Building Code unless specifically identified on the plans.

Notice: Commercial plans submitted on or after January 1, 2019 must comply with the North Carolina Building Code.

Access Building Code text here: 2018 North Carolina State Building Codes


City of Asheville’s Minimum Housing Code


The City of Asheville’s Minimum Housing Code intends to remedy and prevent the decay and deterioration of places of human habitation by providing minimum requirements for the protection of life, health, welfare, safety, and property. All dwellings in the city must be maintained to the minimum standards set forth in the code. Click here for more information. 

Code Clarifications and Changes


The City of Asheville Building Safety division has identified areas of the North Carolina Building Codes that may require additional details. 

Awning and Projecting Sign Requirements

Awning and Projecting Sign Requirements for Building Review 

Before installing your sign or awning on your business please check the requirements, it could save you valuable time and money. Not all signs require Plan Review, if the sign is smaller than those listed on the checklist a Code Enforcement Officer can assist you in the field. Most sign installation requires a permit, please contact the Development Services Center at 828-259-5846 before installation. The following examples are offered to assist you with compliance.


Deck Construction Requirements

What you need to know before building an attached or free-standing deck to your home: Deck Construction


Dryer Duct Requirements

North Carolina Building Codes and North Carolina Mechanical Codes permit a metal dryer duct to penetrate a rated floor ceiling assembly. In an effort to clarify an often considered “gray area” in the code, a descriptive detail has been prepared. The common confusion comes from the fact that both the Mechanical Code and the Building Code require compliance. The wording, which allows this installation, is not found in any single location of either code.

Along with this detail, additional methods of dryer venting may be used, including providing a soffit below the rated assembly and running the dryer duct within the soffit, or providing a rated shaft within the floor system for the duct to be installed. For more information please contact Development Services at 828-259-5846.

Dryer Duct Detail of Fire Resistance Rated Assembly


Residential Handrails Requirements


The North Carolina 2006 State Building Code lists particular requirements for handrails, specifically for the graspability. To assist with questions, the City offers a visual interpretation for your convenience.

Residential Handrails


Unvented Gas Heaters Requirements

Housing Code Section 4-210(g)1(a) – Mechanical/Heat  allows the use of unvented natural gas heaters having oxygen depletion sensors listed for residential use by UL, ETL, or other North Carolina recognized testing laboratory and installed in strict accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions as the primary source of heat.

The State Building Code (2006 N.C. Fuel Gas Code, Section 621.2) will no longer allow unvented natural gas heaters to be installed as the primary source of heat in a dwelling unit. New installations of unvented room heaters must comply with current code and all replacement installations must meet code requirements under which they are installed.

The use of unvented fuel-burning heaters is prohibited in any bedroom.


Solar PV Requirements

In determining the contracting requirements for solar PV, the City of Asheville follows current GC board rules G.S. 87-1 and NC Administrative Code Title 21; Chapter 12 (.0210 specifically). 

A General Contractor (GC) is required for a project if the (building) contracting work exceeds $30,000. 

A GC is not required for a project if the complete solar installation contract price exceeds $30,000, but the building construction part of that work does not exceed $30,000 or 25% of the complete solar installation contract price.

Click here for forms and requirements for submitting solar system plans and work.


Steep Slopes

The City of Asheville has special requirements for vegetation removal within areas designated as steep slope areas. Click here for answers to frequently asked questions regarding regulations found in Section 7-12-4 of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).