Homestays and Short Term Rental Violations

homestay is use of land can be permitted under the following conditions: 

  • Located in a residentially-zoned area
  • Residents live in the house or apartment (“dwelling unit”) full-time;
  • Applicant proposes to rent one to two bedrooms; and
  • Applicant proposes to rent out these bedrooms for less than 30 days at a time.

Click here to review Asheville’s code of ordinances for more information about homestays regulations.

Click here for additional information about homestay permit applications. 

Rental of an entire dwelling unit for less than a month is called a short-term vacation rental (STVR). STVRs are only permitted in the resort zoning district.

Visit the Asheville App to submit a homestay or short term vacation rental (STVR) complaint to the Compliance Division.

Staff will follow up with you during business hours (M-F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm; closed public holidays) should they need additional information. Staff may arrange to perform investigations outside normal business hours, however, they are not on-call.  If your safety is in question, call 911.