The Development Services Department (DSD) accepts and processes commercial permit applications. DSD’s Permit Application Center (PAC) is located at 161 South Charlotte Street and open to the public on Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (closed on public holidays). Customers can also contact or 828-259-5846 with questions about commercial permits. Click here for residential permit applications.

Customers may apply for the following commercial permits online:

Click here for applications and information for large commercial Level II, Major Subdivision and Conditional Zoning projects that will require Technical Review Committee (TRC) review.

Customers should apply in-person for all other commercial permit types at 161 S. Charlotte St. using the forms below. Contact DSD with additional questions.

Zoning requirements can impact commercial development. Prior to preparing plans, customers should obtain information specific to their site or schedule an Early Assistance meeting.

Before beginning an application, please check to confirm that your property is located in the City of Asheville’s permitting jurisdiction.


Stand Alone Trade Permit


Minor Subdivision/Recombination


Commercial Signs/Merchandise/Outdoor Dining


Temporary Use/Events/Mobile Food Vending


New Construction/Additions*

* For additions over 500 sqft

Required Building Construction Forms


Required Site Development Forms


Supplemental Forms (may be applicable)


Project Close-out Forms





Required Building Construction Forms


Supplemental Forms (may be applicable)


Project Close-out Forms




Tenant Upfit- First Occupancy

Required Building Construction Forms


Supplemental Forms (may be applicable)


Project Close-out Forms




Commercial Repair/Replace


Tenant Occupancy- Existing Building


Commercial Reroof


Commercial Demolition


Commercial Solar PV


Short-term Vacation Rentals (STVR)


Commercial Development Fees


Lien Agent Designation

Effective for construction projects beginning on or after April 1, 2013, North Carolina law requires appointment of a lien agent.  Contractors and subcontractors can then give notice they are working on the project. Appointments are not required for (1) improvements under $30,000 or (2) to the owner’s existing residence or (3) for public building projects.  Our office will require the lien agent designation before a permit will be released for commencement of construction, including stand alone permits.  You may visit the website for additional information and a step-by-step guide to completing the designation process online.


Stand Alone and Multi-Trade Permits

A permits for a minor residential installation is called a stand alone trade permits. If an installation requires more than one type of installation, it is referred to as a multi-trade permit. Plumbing, electrical or mechanical (HVAC) projects that do not require plans, but require a permit, can often be issued the same day they are requested. Projects in this category include:

  • installing a new electrical circuit
  • placing a heating system
  • adding or replacing a water heater

Licensed contractors are encouraged to use the Citizen Access website to apply online for these permits. Permits are issued at application when using this website. Applications may also be emailed to or faxed to (828) 259-5676.


Small Project Permits

Seemingly uncomplicated projects may require plan submittal and review from multiple disciplines. Small project permits can often be issued more quickly than other permits; estimate around 10 working days. Examples of small projects include signs, temporary use permits, or tenant up-fits of existing units.


Standard and Large Project Permits

Within “standard” and “large” commercial projects the scale and complexity can vary greatly but they always require technical review by multiple disciplines. The “standard” category covers most low to mid-rise construction. The “large” commercial project category will generally take longer to review due to special detailed requirements based on use and occupancy. High rise construction, covered malls, multi-family buildings over four stories or over 100 units, assemblies of greater than 1,000 occupants, education buildings, institutional buildings, and hazardous uses are considered large commercial projects. The anticipated review times reflect project complexity. Consult the review times matrix to understand how long it will take staff to review your project.


Occupancy or Tenant Change With No Construction Work Performed

If you are moving into a vacant tenant space with a new business similar to previous tenant and will not be performing any construction work, you need to secure Tenant Occupancy. The life-safety criteria and permit process is defined in the Tenant Change Out Bulletin (found above). Please complete the Tenant Occupancy Application (found above) and bring it to the Permit Application Center. In most cases, the permit can issued at the time of application, and inspections can be performed the next day. If the use you are proposing is classified differently from the previous use, you will be asked to submit plans for review.


Business Licenses

The City of Asheville no longer has the authority to collect a privilege license tax (i.e. business license), with the exception of beer and wine taxes. This is in accordance with North Carolina S.L. 2014-3 Section 12, effective July 1, 2015.

It should be noted that while the Local Privilege License Tax is no longer being collected, the State Privilege License authority is still in place.

Related Services

Apply for a trade permit

Apply for residential and commercial electrical, gas piping, plumbing, mechanical, re-roof, or multi-trade permits.

Build a detached structure or deck

Guide and forms to build a deck, shed, solar array, retaining wall, swimming pool, or other accessory structure on a residential property

Apply News

noise pollution illustration
City of Asheville staff invite community to Noise Ordinance revisions update

    Learn about data collected through extensive public process and next steps    As Asheville continues to develop and grow, the City has recognized the need to revisit and update the current municipal Noise Ordinance. Led by the Development Services Department, City staff have conducted extensive public engagement efforts this year.    The public process included outreach to neighborhood groups, the [...]

Picture of DSD remodeled lobby area
Development Services Permit Application Center recently remodeled

  If you have been to the Public Works building recently you likely noticed some changes. The Development Services Permit Application Center (PAC) lobby has gone through a complete remodel to better serve customers and improve efficiency in this work space. Improvements for customers and staff include: Creation of two self-serve kiosks where customers can access DSD’s online services [...]

development notification photo illustration
Asheville residents can find information about upcoming development with new online notification tool  

  In a time of development and growth, Asheville residents have asked how they can stay better informed about upcoming projects. We heard you and are pleased to roll out a new online tool residents can use to stay informed about upcoming development such as major subdivisions, apartment complexes, retail establishments and hotels. The site contains specific [...]