On July 18, 2019 the City of Asheville held a ribbon cutting to celebrate the completion of the first phase of improvements to the park surrounding the Tempie Avery Montford Center Complex, a community center and 17-acre park located at 34 Pearson Drive in the historic Montford neighborhood. An honored guest was a descendent of Tempie Avery whom the center is named for and new signage commemorating the name change was unveiled.
Key features of the project included:
- New playground
- Expanded parking
- New outdoor classroom
- Room to expand existing orchard
- New outdoor table tennis
- New walkways connecting park features
In 2013, the City completed improvements to the Montford Recreation Center in the gymnasium by adding a new floor, new lights and a fresh coat of paint throughout the gym interior.
In 2014, the City developed the Montford Center Complex Master Plan supported by a series of public input opportunities. The plan recommends improvements of the park surrounding the Montford Recreation Center.
In 2016, the project was included in the City’s $17 million bond referendum to support park and recreation facilities improvement projects. The bond referendum was approved by Asheville voters resulting in an allocation of $1.7 million for the Montford Center Complex Improvements Phase I.
In 2017, the Montford Center was renamed to honor Tempie Avery, a prominent African-American nurse and midwife who lived on the site in the early 1900s.
- Issued Request for Qualifications and selected planning & design consultant for Montford Center Complex Master Plan.
- Awarded design contract to Site Design Studios located in Asheville
- Completed Montford Center gym improvements with a new floor, lights, paint, and scoreboard.
- Completed Montford Center Complex Master Plan
- November: Bond referendum passes including funding to support Montford Center Complex Improvements Phase 1 construction
- June: Amended planning & design consultant contract for design services and administration of Montford Center Complex Improvements Phase 1
- June-December: Develop design and construction documents
- Spring: Complete design and construction documents. Issue request for construction bids and award construction contract.
- Summer: Groundbreaking ceremony and construction begins.
- Summer: Grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony.
Asheville Parks & Recreation