Asheville Parks & Recreation (APR) believes in barrier-free access to safe, quality programs for all residents. SOAR (Scholarships for Opportunities & Access to Recreation) may be available for youth and teen programs including summer camps and APR Afterschool, which includes Fun Day Out on teacher workdays and holiday break and spring break camps.
If your household receives free or reduced lunch, SNAP (formerly food stamps), housing choice vouchers including Section 8, Medicaid or medical assistance, SSI/SSDI/pension, or other public assistance, complete a Financial Assistance Application to see if you qualify.
Applications may take up to three weeks to process. Approved applications are valid for two years. Complete details below.
Asheville Parks & Recreation, firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-259-5800
Scholarships for Opportunities & Access to Recreation (SOAR)
All residents are eligible to apply. SOAR is currently available for summer camps and afterschool programs, which include Fun Day Out on teacher workdays and spring break and winter break camps.
- Complete the SOAR application and attach a copy of your financial documents. Please allow up to three (3) weeks for your application to be reviewed and processed.
- You will be notified of the application outcome via email (or phone, if preferred).
- Approved discounts will automatically be applied to your household Asheville Parks & Recreation account and reflected in the checkout process.
- Fee discounts are valid for two (2) years from the date of award.
- Applications can be received at any time during the year with fee discounts applied for the next available program.
The SOAR application does not automatically register your household in a program. Registration and payment for program(s) can be completed while waiting for the outcome of your application status. If the application is approved, the difference in what has already been paid will be refunded as a credit to your account for future use.
If changes occur in your financial standings or circumstances prior to the end of your membership period, please notify Asheville Parks & Recreation at email@example.com. You can also schedule an appointment at 828-259-5800.
- Unless otherwise stated, refunds will only be issued as a credit and must be requested at least two (2) weeks prior to the first day of a program or activity.
- A refund will not be processed if a participant is dismissed from the program.
- Renewal of SOAR is not automatic and will occur when a new application is submitted and approved.
- A reminder will be sent to the email on file with the renewal form prior to the renewal window.
All Financial Assistance information and supporting documents are strictly confidential.
New to Asheville Parks & Recreation programs?
An Asheville Parks & Recreation account will need to be created at www.avlrec.com in order to apply any fee discounts to your profile. Existing families and households should check accounts and update member information.
If you do not have an email, please contact us at 828-259-5800 to make alternative arrangements for application and notification process, or to schedule an appointment.