The City of Asheville offices will be closed in observance of Memorial Day, May 29, a federally designated holiday that honors military personnel who have died in the performance of their military duties while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
The City of Asheville, Buncombe County, and the Veterans Council will host a Memorial Day ceremony on Monday starting at 2:00 p.m. at the Roger McGuire Green in Pack Square Park.
Here is a roundup of City services affected by this holiday.
Parks & Recreation:
- City parks and greenways will be open on a regular schedule 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Community centers and adminstrative offices will be closed on Memorial Day.
- Riverside Cemetery offices will be closed, though the cemetery will be open until 8:00 p.m.
- Pools in Malvern Hills Park is open 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Admission is $3 per person. Recreation Park Pool is currently closed repairs.
- Splasheville, the free splash fountain in Pack Square Park, will be closed the morning of and during the Memorial Day ceremony (see above). Splasheville will reopen after the ceremony.
- Festivals including Shiloh Fun Day and GrindFest take place in city parks throughout the weekend before Memorial Day. To search events and activities, check out Asheville Parks & Recreation’s program guide.
Updated Pool information as of May 26: Find detailed information
Malvern Hills Park’s pool will open on Saturday, May 27, as previously announced.
During initial inspections, Buncombe County Environmental Health discovered potential safety issues at Recreation Park pool and requested additional actions before it will open for the season. Asheville Parks & Recreation crews immediately started working with specialists to perform repairs and safely open this pool as quickly as possible. Find detailed information.
Asheville Parks & Recreation will continue to share community updates as information is received at www.ashevillenc.gov/service/find-a-pool-or-splasheville-information.
- The Harrah’s Cherokee Center – Asheville will be closed in observance of Memorial Day.
- The box office will be open Tuesday – Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tickets and information for all upcoming events is available at www.harrahscherokeecenterasheville.com
- Aston Park Tennis Center – normal hours Memorial day 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- WNC Nature Center – normal hours 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- tickets available at the gate or at www.wildwnc.org
- Municpal Golf Course – normal hours 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- tee times available at the clubhouse or in advance at www.ashevillegc.com
ART Bus Services:
ART buses will operate on a holiday schedule. For more information about riding the bus, please download the Transit app, visit the City’s Transit Maps & Schedules webpage or stop by the ART Transit Center, 49 Coxe Avenue.
Sanitation will be closed. There will be no trash, recycling, or brush collection on Memorial Day, May 29. Sanitation collections will operate Tuesday through Friday.
The collection day for ALL customers — except for those in the Central Business District — will be one day later than normal this week. The Central Business District will be serviced on its regular Wednesday morning schedule.
The Parking Services customer service office will be closed on Monday, May 29. The office will resume normal business hours on Tuesday, May 30.
Public Safety and Water Resources:
All public safety services, including police, fire and emergency response, will operate on a normal schedule – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Water Resources staff will be available for water related emergencies 24 hours a day over the holiday weekend. Customers can call the customer service line at 828-251-1122 to report water related emergencies, leaks, breaks and no water calls.