About the Project
The purpose of the Patton Avenue Corridor Study is to develop transportation, land use, and urban design recommendations for Patton Avenue from the Jeff Bowen Bridge to the easternmost terminus at Pack Square. The goals for the study are to:
- Transform the area so that Patton Avenue and the Captain Jeff Bowen Bridges serves as a gateway to the Downtown;
- Set the stage for Patton Avenue to develop as a mixed-use corridor;
- Retrofit Patton Avenue into a complete street that is safe for all road users;
- Improve connections at Hillcrest to integrate this community with Downtown and terminate at Pack Square;
- Better connect Downtown to the river and other neighborhoods; and
- Create a plan for a network of multi-use paths that connect people to nearby economic and recreational opportunities.
On August 22, 2023, the Asheville City Council authorized the City Manager to execute a contract with McAdams for a corridor and feasibility study of Patton Avenue between the Jeff Bowen Bridge and Pack Square. The project will take approximately one year and will be reviewed regularly by a Project Working Group composed of community members.
On Wednesday, November 29, 2023, the project will conduct a public open house event to kick off the project. This free meeting will be held in the Banquet Hall of Harrah’s Cherokee Center located at 87 Haywood St, Asheville, NC 28801 from 5-7PM. Please help to spread the word. More information will be shared as we approach the meeting date.
For decades residents have been trying to create a vision for the western gateway to downtown Asheville. Concepts focused on transportation changes, such as realigning Patton Avenue, as well as land use ideas to extend the downtown westward to the Jeff Bowen bridge. In 2022, staff summarized these efforts in the East Patton Avenue Report.
August 22, 2023 – City Council authorizes a professional contract with McAdams
August 28, 2023 – Internal Kickoff Meeting with McAdams, NCDOT, the MPO, and City staff
November 29, 2023 – Public Open House (5-7PM, Banquet Hall, Harrah’s Cherokee Center, 87 Haywood St, Asheville, NC 28801)
The following chart summarizes the proposed timeline and milestones of the Downtown Patton Avenue Corridor & Feasibility study over the span of the next year.