The City of Asheville Public Works Department is pleased to announce the Carter St, Ann St and Patton Ave. stormwater project will be starting soon. As the City undertakes making improvements to the area, you may encounter large equipment and other construction related impacts. Preparations are expected to take place as soon as November 7, 2022. Early stages should not impact traffic flow or pedestrian access in the area. The City of Asheville will continue to update this page as work progresses.
This is a Public Works Stormwater Capital Project with cooperation from several other agencies that are providing financial and other support for the project. The City of Asheville Transportation Division has worked with Stormwater to select new street lights to complement and blend into the historic setting of downtown. The City of Asheville is coordinating with NCDOT, Duke and AT&T for utilities and pedestrian improvements. The Public Works Streets Division is supporting the asphalt resurfacing and sidewalk improvements to improve ADA accessibility.
Click the button below to sign up for project updates by email.Sign up for Carter-Ann Project Updates by Email
Moderate to heavy rain storms create localized flooding near the intersection of Carter Street, Patton Avenue and S. Ann Street. A new stormwater drainage system will be installed within the public right-of-way that extends the existing stormwater system on Carter Street down to Patton Avenue, along the Patton Avenue right-of-way from South French Broad Avenue going west to Ann Street and running down Ann Street to tie into an existing public drainage system near Pearl Street. Additional drainage structures along Carter Street and S. Ann Street will help alleviate existing drainage problems in the area. Within the public right-of-way, drainage structures will also be added along Patton Avenue to Clingman Avenue to minimize ponding in the street impacting pedestrians on the sidewalks as vehicles travel by.
Pedestrian safety improvements will be made to the intersection of Patton Avenue and Clingman Avenue in coordination with NCDOT. Additional ADA accessibility improvements will be made to the sidewalks along Patton Avenue. This project improves stormwater conveyance and flooding as well as pedestrian and vehicular safety for the Patton Avenue corridor.
This project is being performed by the Public Works Stormwater Division in advance of scheduled resurfacing of this portion of Patton Avenue, as part of coordinated City maintenance with the Public Works Streets Division.
- February: Issued Request For Qualifications (RFQ) and selected design consultant
- December: Contract start date
- March: Due diligence & existing conditions analysis completed
- Summer: Preliminary design
- Fall: Design development, construction drawings, easements
- Fall: Community questions and outreach via publicinput.com
- Spring: Additional scope of ADA improvements at Clingman intersection added
- Fall: Additional scope of ADA improvements to Patton sidewalks and driveways
- Winter: 2021 / 2022 Final Design
- Summer: A walking tour and virtual information session were held as part of community outreach.
- Winter: Community outreach for anticipated construction schedule.
Valerie Welbourn, Project Manager
Russ Davis, PE, Stormwater Division Manager