UPDATE as of May 26, 2023
Malvern Hills Park’s pool will open on Saturday, May 27, as previously announced.
During initial inspections, Buncombe County Environmental Health discovered potential safety issues at Recreation Park pool and requested additional actions before it will open for the season. Asheville Parks & Recreation crews immediately started working with specialists to perform repairs and safely open this pool as quickly as possible. Detailed information is below.
Asheville Parks & Recreation will continue to share community updates as information is received at www.ashevillenc.gov/service/find-a-pool-or-splasheville-information.
Malvern Hills Park Park
- Malvern Hills Park is located at 75 Rumbough Place. Due to increased vehicular traffic, Rumbough Place becomes a one-way thoroughfare from Sulphur Spring Road to Harris Avenue from May 26-August 6.
- During Memorial Day weekend, the pool is open 11 a.m.-6 p.m. on May 27, 1-6 p.m. on May 28, and 12-6 p.m. on May 29.
- Cost to swim is $3.00 per day. Season passes may be purchased for $100 per individual or $150 for a family of up to four individuals.
Recreation Park Pool
- Issue: The gutter system for the pool separated from the pool, exposing a significant gap between the gutter and the pool wall.
- Actions Performed: A professional engineer evaluated the structural condition of the pool wall and deck to determine if repair is an option. The evaluation recommended the pool not be occupied until permanent repairs can be made. This significantly delays opening the pool.
- Next Steps: Asheville Parks & Recreation staff are exploring short- and long-term solutions to repair the gutter system and pool wall. In the interim, staff are looking for ways to program Recreation Park with water-related activities and games.
- More Information: Recreation Park pool opened in 1970 and is located on 65 Gashes Creek Road. A previous pool in Recreation Park opened in 1925 and operated until 1956.
Splasheville, a no-charge interactive splash pad operated by Asheville Parks & Recreation in Pack Square Park, reopened earlier this month for a season that runs through September. A neighborhood pool under construction at Dr. Wesley Grant Sr. Southside Community Center is anticipated to open this summer.
Buncombe County Parks & Recreation’s five pools and Black Mountain Parks & Recreation’s pool are scheduled to open on May 27.
As temperatures rise, Asheville Parks & Recreation’s public pools offer cool, safe, and affordable fun for community members of all ages. Pools in Malvern Hills and Recreation parks open for the season on Memorial Day weekend. Pack Square Park’s popular free splash pad, Splasheville, is already open. A new pool at Dr. Wesley Grant Sr. Southside Community Center opens this summer with a date to be announced soon.
- Malvern Hills Park is located on 75 Rumbough Place. Due to increased vehicular traffic, Rumbough Place becomes a one-way thoroughfare from Sulphur Spring Road to Harris Avenue from May 26-August 6.
- Recreation Park is located on 65 Gashes Creek Road. This pool is currently closed for repairs. Follow updated information on this page.
- Dr. Wesley Grant Sr. Southside Community Center is located on 285 Livingston Street and is expected to open in June or July.
- Splasheville is located in Pack Square Park on 80 Court Plaza. The free splash pad’s regular daily hours are 9 a.m.-8:30 p.m., but may be closed for special events or during inclement weather.
Pools close during inclement weather for safety.
- May 27-June 4
- Saturdays, May 27 and June 3, from 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sundays, May 28 and June 4, from 1-6 p.m.
- Monday, May 29, from 12-6 p.m.
- June 10-August 6
- Saturdays, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sundays, 1-6 p.m.
- Mondays, 12.-6 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 12-6 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 12-6 p.m.
- Thursdays, 12-6 p.m.
- Fridays, 12-6 p.m.
- August 7-September 3 (Recreation Park only, other pools close on August 6)
- Saturdays, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sundays, 1-6 p.m.
- September 4 (Recreation Park only, other pools close on August 6)
- Monday, 12-6 p.m.
Pool Admission, Swim Lessons, and After Hours Parties:
Cost to swim is $3.00 per day. Season passes may be purchased for $100 per individual or $150 for a family of up to four individuals.
Asheville’s public pools are managed through an agreement with Swim Club Management Group of Asheville which oversees maintenance, hires staff, and handles daily operations. Community members can sign up for swim lessons on the management group’s website, ashevillecitypools.com.
Asheville Parks & Recreation
With its oldest parks dating to the 1890s, Asheville Parks & Recreation manages a unique collection of more than 65 public parks, playgrounds, and open spaces throughout the city in a system that also includes full-complex recreation centers, swimming pools, Riverside Cemetery, sports fields and courts, and community centers that offer a variety of wellness-, education-, and culture-related programs for Ashevillians of all ages. With 10 miles of paved greenways and numerous natural surface trails, its complete portfolio acts as the foundation of a vibrant hub for the people of Asheville to connect with their neighbors and explore the natural beauty of a livable and walkable city
Driven by the promise that Asheville is a better and safer place when everyone from infants to retirees has the opportunity to be supported, healthy, and successful, Asheville Parks & Recreation was the first nationally-accredited municipal recreation department in the United States. For latest updates, sign up for Asheville Parks & Recreation’s monthly newsletter, follow the department on Facebook @aprca and Instagram @ashevilleparksandrecreation, or visit www.ashevillenc.gov/parks.