THE NEXT FORMAL MEETING OF CITY COUNCIL WILL BE ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8. THIS WILL BE A VIRTUAL MEETING. FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, BELOW PLEASE FIND THE COMPLETE ONLINE AGENDA FROM COUNCIL’S LAST FORMAL MEETING. PLEASE CONTACT CITY CLERK MAGGIE BURLESON AT MBURLESON@ASHEVILLENC.GOV IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.
City Council Formal Meeting
November 10, 2020 – 5:00 p.m.
Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute § 166A-19.24(f) this will be a remote meeting which the public can access by any of the following means:
- Watch live by television on Charter Cable channel 193 and on AT&T U-Verse channel 99 or by live stream through https://publicinput.com/Q8062
2. Persons wishing to speak during the meeting must sign up in advance using an online form found at ashevillenc.gov/comments or by calling the Clerk’s office at 828-259- 5900, no later than Noon on November 9
- Listen live by calling 855-925-2801 Enter Code 8133
4. Pre-recorded voicemail comments for agenda (including public hearings) by calling 855-925-2801 Enter Code 8133. Deadline for pre-recorded voicemail comments is 5:00 p.m. on November 9
5. Written comments for agenda (including public hearings) – AshevilleCityCouncilNov102020@PublicInput.com
Deadline for written comments is 5:00 p.m. on November 9
- Written comments for public hearings only can be submitted to the City Council until 24 hours after the public hearing by sending comments to – AshevilleCityCouncilNov102020@PublicInput.com
Pledge of Allegiance
I. Proclamations (No public comment)
– Resolution of Appreciation to Brian Haynes
– Resolution of Appreciation to Julie Mayfield
– Resolution of Appreciation to Keith Young
II. Consent Agenda
A. Approval of the minutes of the formal meeting held on October 27, 2020. Documents
B. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into an agreement with the Norfolk-Southern Railroad (NSRR) to allow construction of “The District” Sidewalk Project within NSRR right-of-way. Documents
C. Resolution authorizing the City Purchasing Manager to procure new radios through Motorola for Asheville Rides Transit operations using sole source procurement. Documents
D. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to ratify and amend the contract with Swiftly, Inc. for real-time prediction transit information software. Documents
E.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to amend the Young Transportation contract until April 30, 2021, to ensure they continue to provide supplemental transit services in the City of Asheville service area to address public transportation passenger concerns. Documents
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $560,000 from the Federal Transit Administration CARES Act funds for the contract amendment with Young Transportation.
F. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with Strategic Security Corp to provide security service at multiple City facilities. Documents
G. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a contract amendment with Hazen and Sawyer P.C., for the Edwin Place, Celia Place, and Canterbury Drive Drainage Improvements Project. Documents
H. Ordinance amendment the Fiscal Year 2020-21 Fees & Charges Manual to establish a fee of $10 per month upcharge for the rental of a bear-resistant trash cart. Documents
I.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to apply for, and accept funding if awarded, from the North Carolina’s Alliance of YMCA’s Remote Learning Site Grant Fund to facilitate remote learning opportunities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Documents
2. Budget amendment in the Special Revenue Fund, in the amount of $431,338, to budget the Recreate and Educate Program.
J. Budget amendment in the City’s Special Revenue Fund, in the amount of $141,208.44, to budget Police Buncombe County Anti-Crime Task Force funds already received by the City. Documents
K. Resolution authorizing the City Attorney to formally intervene in the North Carolina Utilities Commission Docket E-100 Sub 165 of Duke Energy’s 2020 Integrated Resource Plan. Documents
L . Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a Verizon Wireless Master Encroachment Agreement. Documents
M. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into an Interlocal Agreement with the County of Buncombe, the Housing Authority of the City of Asheville, and the Asheville City Schools Board of Education regarding the provision of necessary and essential internet services to certain communities located in Buncombe County. Documents
III. Presentations and Reports
IV. Unfinished Business (No public comment)
A.1. Vote to update the 2020-21 Action Plan to include the allocation of $154,711 in Community Development Block Grant contingency funds and the reallocation of an estimated $1.1 million in HOME Investment Partnerships Program funds. Documents
2. Technical budget amendment to revise the amount of the Fiscal Year 2020-21 CDBG and HOME Fund budgets that were adopted in the Fiscal Year 2020-21 Annual Budget Ordinance based on updated information.
B.1. Vote to update the 2019-20 Action Plan to include $889,456 in CDBG-CV funds, which must be used to prevent, prepare for, or respond to coronavirus. Documents
2. Budget amendment in the Community Development Block Grant Fund in the amount of $889,456 to budget the Round 3 COVID-19 grant funds.
V. Public Hearings
A. Public hearing to authorize the City Manager to submit the 5 Year Consolidated Plan for Fiscal Years 20/21 – 24/25, which includes the 20-21 Annual Action Plan for Community Development Block Grants and the HOME Investment Partnerships Program programs, to the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development. Documents
B. Public hearing to consider an amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance to update open space requirements. – This public hearing will be continued until December 8, 2020.
VI. New Business
VII. Informal Discussion and Public Comment
Maggie Burleson, City Clerk
Contact Maggie Burleson to be added to the email distribution list to receive City Council agendas and City Council related notifications.