City Council Meeting Agenda
February 27, 2018 - 5:00 p.m.
Council Chamber - 2nd Floor - City Hall
The following has been set as the tentative agenda for the February 27, 2018, regular meeting of the City Council. Information regarding City employees is governed by N.C. Gen. Stat. sec. 160A-168 – Council does not consider personnel matters in open session. At the conclusion of this agenda the meeting will be open for the presentation of other matters by members of Council and the public. Public comment will not be taken on items as to which no Council action will be taken at this meeting, including those items listed as reports or presentations or as discussion items. When Council action is anticipated as to any matter, it will be placed on a Council agenda for consideration, and public comment will be taken at that time.
Pledge of Allegiance
- Resolution in memory of the Reverend Billy Graham
- Proclamation proclaiming March 10, 2018, as "Zelda Fitzgerald Day"
- Proclamation proclaiming March 19-25, 2018, as "Asheville Climate Week"
I. CONSENT AGENDA:
B.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to apply for and enter into a contract with the N.C. Division of Emergency Management for the Fiscal Year 2017 Homeland Security Grant to upgrade and enhance wireless telecommunications equipment. Documents
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $30,000, from the N.C. Division of Emergency Management, for the Fiscal Year 2017 Homeland Security Grant.
C.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager receive reimbursement funds from the N.C.
Emergency Division of the Dept. of Public Safety for staff deployment to Texas to assist with Helo-Aquatic Rescue efforts and staff deployment to Buncombe County to support North Carolina Task Force 2 operations during Hurricane Irma. Documents
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $17,448.35, from N.C. Emergency Division of the Dept. of Public Safety for staff deployment to Texas to assist with Helo-Aquatic Rescue efforts and staff deployment to Buncombe County to support North Carolina Task Force 2 operations during Hurricane Irma.
D. Resolution authorizing proposing to accept an offer for sale of 102.8 square feet of air rights at 35 Eagle Street; directing the City Clerk to advertise for upset bids for the sale of air rights; and if no other bids are received or accepted, authorizing the City Manager to execute any and all documents necessary to convey the air rights. Documents
E. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Supplemental Agreement with GHD Consulting Services, Inc. for the Mills River Water Treatment Plant Roof Replacement and Structural Improvements Project. Documents
F. Resolution amending the 2018 City Council meeting schedule to (1) reschedule the previously scheduled budget worksession on March 13, 2018, to March 20, 2018, at 3:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber in City Hall, and held in conjunction with a participatory budget worksession; (2) add a joint City Council/ Buncombe County Board of Commissioners meeting on March 13, 2018, at 3:00 p.m. in the 1st Floor Conference Room at 200 College Street, Asheville, N.C.; and (3) reschedule the City Council formal meeting on May 8, 2018, to May 15, 2018. Documents
G. Budget amendment in the General Capital Projects Fund in the amount of $200,000 to appropriate funding received from the applicant for connectivity improvements near the mixed-use development on Fairview Road known as “The District.” Documents
H. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter execute a Supplemental Agreement with W.K. Dickson & Co., Inc. for the Neighborhood Enhancement Project - Area 5. Documents
I. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Supplemental Agreement with Brown and Caldwell for the North Fork Water Treatment Plant Sodium Bicarbonate Feed System Replacement Project. Documents
J. Resolution making provisions for the possession and consumption of malt beverages and/or unfortified wine at the following events: Documents
1. SoCon JamFest on March 4, 2018
2. Asheville City Market on Saturdays beginning April 7, 2018, through December 15, 2018
3. Run for the Paws on April 22, 2018
4. Asheville City Soccer Club Games on May 4, 5, 8, 17, 19, 29, June 2, 12, 14, 19, 21, 23,
27, 29, 30, July 2, 3, 10, 13, 14 and 15, 2018
5. Brews and Bears on May 11, July 13 and September 14, 2018
6. Asheville VeganFest on June 10, 2018
7. Hola Asheville on June 23, 2018
K. Technical budget amendment, in the amount of $1,062,500 to move the revenue and expense budgets for pass through funding that is received from the Federal Transit Administration from the Transit Operating Fund to the Transit Multi-Year Fund. Documents
L. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a construction agreement with Buckeye Bridge, LLC, for the Neighborhood Enhancement Project Area 3 Water Distribution Systems Phase 2 Project. Documents
M. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a construction agreement with T & K Utilities, Inc., for the Fairview Area Water System Improvements Project. Documents
N. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Supplemental Agreement with CDM Smith, Inc. for the Water System Distribution Projects - Project 2. Documents
O. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Supplemental Agreement with McGill Associates, PA for the Water System Distribution Projects - Project 1. Documents
II. PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS:
A. Legislative Study Committee Presentation by Representative Chuck McGrady
B. Update on the Charlotte Street Innovation District Process Documents
C. Quarterly Operating and Capital Budget Reports Documents
D. 12-Month Update on Review Process for Level III Projects (report only) Documents
E. City Council Strategic Priorities Update (report only) Documents
CITY COUNCIL HAS ESTABLISHED THE FOLLOWING TIME LIMITS FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS:
- APPLICANTS HAVE UP TO TEN MINUTES TO COMPLETE A PRESENTATION.
- ELECTRONIC PRESENTATIONS ARE LIMITED TO AGENDA ITEMS WITH PRESENTATION MATERIALS PROVIDED PRIOR TO THE MEETING BY
CITY STAFF, APPLICANTS, OR ORGANIZED OPPOSITION.
- INDIVIDUALS HAVE UP TO THREE MINUTES TO SPEAK TO CITY COUNCIL.
- A PERSON REPRESENTING A GROUP OF THREE OR MORE PERSONS (NOT INCLUDING THE SPEAKER) PRESENT IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER
HAS UP TO 10 MINUTES TO ADDRESS CITY COUNCIL.
- PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD FOR ANY ITEM MAY NOT EXCEED ONE HOUR.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE PROVIDED IN HARD COPY AND/OR WRITTEN FORM.
IV. PUBLIC HEARINGS: None
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Resolution on gun violence prevention. Documents
BOARD/COMMISSION VACANCIES: Audit Committee; Board of Adjustment (Alternate); Housing Authority; Multimodal Transportation Commission; Noise Ordinance Appeals Board; Recreation Board; and Riverfront Area Redevelopment Commission. Deadline is Wednesday, March 7,, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. Call 259-5839 for an application form.