If your property has been stored by the police department for safe-keeping you may retrieve it from the department’s Evidence Section. Officers also submit lost or found items to the department’s Evidence Unit for secure storage.
All found property that is eligible for release is held for 180 days (60 days for bicycles). Contact a representative of the Evidence Unit for more information and assistance if you have lost an item.
Frequently asked questions
- When are you open to the public? Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm (4:00 pm for firearm releases)
- Can I have someone else pick up my found property on my behalf? Yes. The person picking up the property must have a notarized letter from you and a photo ID.
- Can my property be mailed to me? Only for those who reside outside of the immediate City of Asheville area. For more information on this process, please contact the Evidence Unit at 828-232-4576.
- What if my items are being held as evidence? You will have to get authority from the District Attorney’s office or a court order for the release of evidence items. The District Attorney’s office may be contacted at 828-259-3410.
- How do I retrieve the items of someone who is deceased? You can make arrangements to pick up these items with the case agent or provide probate court paperwork to Evidence Unit personnel. If you’re not sure where to start the department’s Victims Services Unit may also be able to help.
Other questions? Contact the Evidence Unit at 828-232-4576. Evidence Unit personnel are available by phone Monday-Friday 9 am – 5 pm.
The Evidence Unit public entrance is located on the South-East corner of the Municipal Building (police headquarters) with the entrance facing S Spruce Street.
Public parking spaces for the Municipal Building are located in front of the main entrance facing Roger McGuire Green. The entrance to the Property & Evidence Section is located towards the rear of the building facing the gated parking lot.
Asheville Police Department
100 Court Plaza
Asheville NC 28801
PO Box 7148
Asheville NC 28802