The Asheville Police Department’s ride-along program is available to help community members understand the broad range of police duties and the vital role officers perform.
Community members who wish to participate in a ride-along with an APD officer must meet the following requirements:
- The participant must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- The participant must complete the ride-along request packet, including a Ride-Along Program Agreement and Release of Liability Form. Failure to complete these forms will disqualify participation in the program. These forms permit the department to run local criminal and driver’s license histories before participating in a ride-along.
There are a few other restrictions participants should be aware of:
- Participants are not permitted to carry any type of weapon, even those they are lawfully permitted to carry concealed or otherwise.
- Participants are not permitted to use any audio or video recording devices while accompanying officers engaged in their duties without prior written authorization.
- Scheduling of ride-alongs is subject to the availability of officers.
- Ride-alongs may be discontinued due to safety concerns, calls for service, or other factors at the discretion of the officer or a police supervisor.
- Riders are only allowed to observe routine law enforcement activities and will not be allowed to enforce laws or assist in enforcing laws. Participants will not be permitted to access sensitive crime scenes.
- Unless otherwise approved, participation in the program is limited to once every twelve (12) months.
- Participants may not ride for more than five (5) hours during any shift or past midnight without special approval.
- Only one rider is allowed in each vehicle.