The City of Asheville is implementing a pilot program to provide bear-resistant trash carts to residents. There are a limited number of carts available for the pilot program and they are available on a first-come, first-served basis with a maximum of 2 per household.
- Carts will be available in early 2021.
- Carts are 95-gallons (same size as regular large green trash carts) and weigh 45 lbs (~10 lbs heavier than regular trash carts)
- There is a $10/month/cart up-charge for the use of a bear cart. This fee will be added to your regular solid waste fee, which is part of your water bill.
- Residents must commit to a minimum of a one-year rental for the bear carts.
- The bear resistant carts are to be used for trash only (not recycling or yard waste).
- The bear carts are ‘fully automated’, which means that they will stay locked when the lid is closed. The carts will open when the truck empties them. Residents will access a special latch to unlock the lid. The latch does require some manual dexterity to operate.
Get on the waiting list
To get on the waiting list for a bear-resistant trash cart, please fill out this form.
For general information about living responsibly and safely with bears, visit BearWise.org.
For other questions or Sanitation collection information, please contact our office at 828-259-5857