North Carolina General Statute 132-1.4 governs the maintenance and disclosure of footage captured by law enforcement body-worn cameras within the state. The statute dictates that a person requesting the disclosure of a record must make a written request to the head of the law enforcement agency stating the date and approximate time of the activity captured in the recording, or otherwise identify the activity with reasonable particularity sufficient to identify the recording to which the request refers.
At the Asheville Police Department, the police chief or the police chief’s designee may disclose a recording to the following:
- A person whose image or voice is in the recording.
- A personal representative of an adult person whose image or voice is in the recording if the adult person has consented to the disclosure.
- A personal representative of a minor or of an adult person under lawful guardianship whose image or voice is in the recording.
- A personal representative of a deceased person whose image or voice is in the recording.
- A personal representative of an adult person who is incapacitated and unable to provide consent to the disclosure. When disclosing the recording, the law enforcement agency shall disclose only those portions of the recording that are relevant to the person’s request. A person who receives disclosure pursuant to this subsection shall not record or copy the recording.
If you meet the above criteria and would like to request to view body worn camera footage please complete the Request for Disclosure of Law Enforcement Recordings Form and return to the department by:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 828-250-8856
- Mail to:
Asheville Police Department
PO Box 7148
Asheville NC 28802