In order to efficiently respond to requests and manage the employment of off-duty police officers, the Asheville Police Department has partnered with Off Duty Management to provide services related to hiring off-duty officers effective March 15, 2021.
You may request to hire off-duty police officers through the Off Duty Management web-based service, OfficerTRAK®, or calling the toll-free number below.
Off Duty Management provides the following to the customer:
- Online access to information through the OfficerTRAK® software including
- Officer attendance
- Field notes and media files
- Post orders and instructions
- Past and future shift information
- Full liability coverage for the customer, the agency, and the officer
- 24/7 customer service through their toll-free number
- Dedicated point of contact for scheduling, invoicing and payroll
Prohibited Off-Duty Employment*:
- Process servers, repossessors, bail bonds, or bill collectors, towing of vehicles, or any other employment in which police authority might be perceived as used to collect money or property for private purposes.
- Work involving investigations for the private sector or any employment that might require the employee to utilize police information, department files, records, or services as a condition of the employment.
- Any employment using department uniforms in the performance of tasks other than those of a law enforcement nature.
- Employment that assists (in any manner) the case preparation for the defense in any criminal action or for either side in any civil action or proceeding.
- Employment which is politically oriented to the extent that is may be reasonably inferred that as a representative of the department, the employee recommends, endorses, or encourages one political interest over another.
- Employment that results in a conflict of interest with the stated mission and goals of the Asheville Police Department.
*Please note: the above list is not all-inclusive and questions regarding permitted activity should be forwarded to Off Duty Management.
Total Hourly Billable Rate
- 4 hours minimum per request.
- 24 hours prior to shift start is required for requests.
*The Holiday rate will apply to the following days: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
**Emergency rates apply when a request is received less than 24 hours prior to the start of the shift.
Once an assignment has been approved and scheduled, vendors canceling or reducing assignments are required to pay the full ODM administrative fees for the first 24 hours of the original assignment. Vendors canceling or reducing assignments within 48 hours of the start of the assignment are required to pay the greater of officer hours works or the agency minimum hours plus ODM administrative fees for the first 24 hours of the original assignment. (Admin fees depend on the coverage and can range from $6.75-$10.13 per hour.)
You can request service or obtain a quote in the following ways:
Call Off Duty Management 24/7 toll free at 1-877-636-8300.