The City of Asheville requires a permit for all residents wishing to keep 7 or more animals (small domesticated rodents, small birds, amphibians, fish and reptiles included).

A permit is also required by all residents wishing to keep bees, fowl (chickens) or livestock including goats, horses, ponies, and exotic pets. To obtain a permit, fill out the animal permit application form.  You may also call  the Animal Services office at 828-259-5872 to request the application by mail.

Notice:  These permits are different than dog licenses, which must be obtained every year. See the dog licensing page for information about dog licenses.




Contact Information

City of Asheville’s Animal Services Division
On-call for emergencies 24/7

Office Hours
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday: 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.