City Chief Finance Officer Barbara Whitehorn has accepted a position as Finance Director with the City of San Bernardino, Calif., and will leave the City of Asheville Jan. 15.
Under her direction for the past seven years, the City of Asheville and the Finance Department have improved policies and procedures and have many noteworthy accomplishments including:
- Consistently achieved Triple – A bond ratings from both Moody’s and S & P rating agencies.
- Implemented an innovative debt model using interim construction financing to effectively leverage taxpayer funds.
- Supported the first successful passage of a General Obligation Bond referendum in three decades.
- Assisted in Asheville being the first city in North Carolina to issue green bonds in 2015.
- Implemented continuous improvements to the budget development process.
Assistant Finance Director Tony McDowell will serve as Interim Director and a selection process for Finance Director will be underway shortly.
We are grateful for all Barbara Whitehorn brought to our organization and her meaningful service to our community.