If you feel you have been treated improperly by a police department employee, or have concerns over the handling of an incident, you may submit a complaint to the department by doing any of the following:
- Contact an on-duty supervisor 24-hours a day at 828-252-1110. A complaint may be made in-person or over the phone.
- Contact the Office of Professional Standards during business hours at 828-259-5907.
- Email your complaint or concerns to Professional Standards
- Fill out a Citizen Complaint Form and return in-person, by mail, email or fax.
- Complete the online Citizen Complaint Form
When making a complaint, please include as much information as possible, including the name of the police department employee(s) involved and any witnesses.
You may remain anonymous. Anonymous complaints are accepted and thoroughly investigated.
When a complaint is received, the Office Professional Standards sends a letter to confirm the complaint has been received and assigned for investigation.
The Asheville Police Department understands and takes seriously all allegations of misconduct. The trust of our community is built upon the confidence that officers will be held responsible for their actions. It is the policy of the Asheville Police Department to investigate all reports of employee misconduct, including anonymous complaints.
Asheville Police Department
Office of Professional Standards
Office Address: 100 Court Plaza, Asheville, NC 28801
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Mailing Address: PO Box 7148 Asheville, NC 28802
Email: Professional Standards