The Asheville Police Department provides a number of ways that citizens and visitors can report criminal activity.
How to report a crime
For all emergency situations, including crimes in progress, call 9-1-1.
For non-emergency situations, individuals can report crime by:
- Calling the Asheville Police Department non-emergency number at 828-252-1110
- Visiting the Asheville Police Department’s front desk located in the lobby of the Municipal Building (100 Court Plaza) from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Reporting criminal activity anonymously by utilizing Asheville-Buncombe Crime Stoppers at 828-255-5050
- Report drug activity using the drug tip line at 828-259-5692 or emailing/texting email@example.com
Tips for reporting a crime
If a crime is in progress, or you have just witnessed or experienced a crime, try to get to safety first.
When talking to a 911 dispatcher, keep in mind the following:
- The first question you will be asked is “Where is your emergency?”
- Be as specific as possible, provide an address if you know it.
- If you don’t know the address, provide a street name or identify landmarks around you.
- Let the dispatcher know if anyone is hurt or needs medical assistance.
- Be prepared to provide a description of the physical characteristics and clothing of the victim/perpetrator (such as gender, height, age, race, clothing color/type) when possible.
Asheville Police Department
100 Court Plaza
Asheville NC, 28801