Higher than expected bills

water dripping from faucet

If your water consumption seems too high, please contact us at 828-251-1122 as soon as possible.


You may have a water leak. These situations must be addressed quickly.

The city can re-read your meter to help determine if you have a leak on the private side of your meter. If you do have a leak on your side of the meter, you must fix it immediately in order to receive an adjustment.

Leak adjustments are conditional upon the repair of the leak by the customer within thirty (30) days of the leak detection.

Customer requests for billing adjustments due to a private side leak must be made in writing within forty five (45) days of leak repair and include proof of repair.

A maximum of two leak adjustments may be made in any twenty four (24) month period.


To request a billing adjustment, fill out the adjustment form.

To view our full policy, click here.

To visit our Water Department page, click here.