The restoration of Asheville’s Vance Monument will be celebrated with a rededication ceremony at 2 p.m. Saturday, June 6, at the foot of the monument in Pack Square Park. The ceremony will be hosted by the 26th North Carolina Regiment. The original monument cornerstone laid in 1897, will be re-dedicated by the North Carolina Masons.
The Vance Monument is an obelisk composed of rusticated granite blocks at an estimated height of 75 feet. Prior to the start of restoration, the time capsule placed under the monument in 1897 was removed. The contents, now in the hands of the Western Regional Archives of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, will be on display including the original copper box, silver coins, several local newspapers of the time, an honor roll from local schools, Masonic documents, and a muster roll from the company of Governor Vance.
The Vance Monument is part of the city of Asheville’s public art collection. The restoration was performed by Karkadoulias Bronze Art, professional conservators of historic monuments. The work included repair of mortar joints, overall cleaning of the monument and plaques, and repair of the wrought iron fence surrounding the monument. The restoration is made possible by a generous donation by the 26th North Carolina Regiment.
Time capsule project
Plans to create a new time capsule to be revealed in 2115 will be announced. The Asheville Buncombe Time Capsule Project will invite the community to comment on what goes in the time capsule and a volunteer selection panel will make the final recommendation on the time capsule content.
For more information about the Vance Monument restoration project and the Asheville Buncombe Time Capsule Project, contact Debbie Ivester at 828-259-5804, firstname.lastname@example.org.
History of the monument
Constructed in 1897 at the west end of what is now Pack Square Park, the Vance Monument commemorates the life of Zebulon B. Vance, U.S. Senator, governor of North Carolina during and after the Civil War, and the first colonel of the 26th North Carolina Regiment. The monument was designed by architect Richard Sharpe Smith who oversaw the construction of the Biltmore House.
Founded in 1981, the 26th North Carolina is a nonprofit society with more than 300 members. Its mission is to preserve the story and material history of North Carolina during the period of the American Civil War, focusing on aspects of history relating to the original 26th North Carolina Regiment. The 26th North Carolina works in partnership with the North Carolina Museum of History to fund artifact preservation projects within the museum’s collection; and throughout its history has raised over $150,000 for historical preservation in addition the funds raised specifically for the Vance Monument Project. The major donor to the Vance Monument restoration project is the Vetust Study Club, along with a number of public and private contributors. For information about the 26th North Carolina Regiment, go to 26nc.org, or contact Chris Roberts at 828-712-5162, email@example.com.
Asheville’s Public Art Program
The City of Asheville Public Art Program oversees Asheville’s public art collection with assistance of the Public Art & Cultural Commission. The collection includes the popular Urban Trail, a historic walking tour of downtown Asheville; along with other prominent works in the downtown area including but not limited to the Pack Fountain, Energy Loop, Deco Gecko and the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. For information about the Public Art Program, contact Brenda Mills at 828-259-8050, firstname.lastname@example.org.