Looking for a way to get involved in local government and play a part in shaping the future of Asheville? Serving on a City of Asheville board or commission is a great place to start. More than 250 people serve on 35 advisory boards and help guide policy decisions for the City of Asheville. Put your perspective, leadership and knowledge to work by serving on one of many City advisory committees.
Currently there are openings on six committees or boards.
For an application form, please visit of City’s Boards and Commissions webpage or contact the City Clerk’s Office at 828-259-5839 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. Nov. 4, unless otherwise noted.
ABC BOARD — The members oversee the operation and administration of the ABC system.
HISTORIC RESOURCES COMMISSION — Some duties of the commission include:
- Recommend to City Council and County Commissioners “historic districts” and “landmarks”;
- Restoring, preserving and operating historic properties;
- Recommend to City Council and County Commissioners that designation of historic districts to be revoked or removed for cause; and
- Review and act upon proposals for alterations, demolitions, or new construction within historic districts, or for alteration or demolition of designated landmarks.
Members shall have demonstrated special interest, experience or education in history, archeology, architecture or related fields.
HOMELESS INITIATIVE ADVISORY COMMITTEE — Some duties of the committee include:
- Serve as an advisory body, in collaboration with the Asheville-Buncombe Homeless Coalition, to the Asheville City Council or its designated subcommittee for the NC 501 Continuum of Care;
- Address homelessness through a coordinated community-based process of identifying needs and building a system of housing and services that meet those needs;
- Foster a community-wide commitment to the goal of ending homelessness; 4) Secure funding and make recommendations for allocations to support efforts to quickly re-house individuals and families who are homeless, which minimizes the trauma and dislocation caused by homelessness; and
- Ensure access to and effective use of mainstream programs; and Promote self-sufficiency among individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
GREENWAY COMMITTEE — This vacancy is open until filled. The committee functions as an advisory board to the Multimodal Transportation Commission and City staff on implementation of a system of greenways within Asheville. The Committee’s role is to function as an advisory committee to the City’s greenway program while educating and engaging the public and advocating for funding. The Greenway Committee consists of at least seven members and up to 11 members. All are appointed by the Multimodal Transportation Commission. The term of office is three years. For an application form, please visit the Greenway Committee webpage, or contact Lucy Crown, at LCrown@ashevillenc.gov.
TRANSIT COMMITTEE — This vacancy is open until filled. The committee functions as an advisory board to the Multimodal Transportation Commission and to the City staff on matters affecting the transit system and its operation. The Transit Committees consists of at least seven members and up to eleven members. All Transit Committee members are appointed by the Multimodal Transportation Commission. The terms of office are three years. For an application form, please visit the Transit webpage, Marcela Moreno at MMoreno@ashevillenc.gov for more information.
SOIL EROSION/STORMWATER REVIEW COMMITTEE — The committee hears appeals from the Stormwater Administrator.
Want more information?
Please visit of City’s Boards and Commissions webpage or contact the City Clerk’s Office at 828-259-5839 or by e-mail at email@example.com for more information.