The Asheville Citizens Fire Academy is designed to increase the community’s understanding and awareness of the Asheville Fire Department. This is an amazing opportunity for adults (18 years or older) who live and/or work in Asheville to learn about the philosophies, policies and guiding principles of the Asheville Fire Department and the services we provide to our community.
The Citizens Fire Academy gives residents an inside look at the challenges firefighters face daily as well as a unique opportunity to offer comments, ideas and solutions.
After learning the basic functions and services that ADF provides, participants will be asked to play a vital role in our department’s annual strategic plan by participating as an external stakeholder, providing feedback and input about their expectations and concerns.
The Asheville Citizens Fire Academy will be held every Tuesday from March 24 through May 19. It is designed to be an educational and empowering experience for participants. The academy consists of basic classroom instruction, presentations and demonstrations on topics such as the history of the AFD, Fire Marshal’s Office functions, fire prevention methods, hazardous materials mitigation, rescue operations, ladder operations and engine operations. Participants also get an opportunity to go on a ride-along on a fire truck and eat dinner each week with firefighters.
The Citizens Fire Academy is designed to:
- Increase public awareness of fire department responsibilities and operations.
- Build a stronger relationship between the community and the Asheville Fire Department.
- Provide the public with the opportunity for feedback and suggestions.
- Empower participants by increasing community support and awareness about the Asheville Fire Department operations through education and exchanging of ideas.
- Create responsible, well-informed citizens who influence public opinion on the Asheville Fire Department operations, practices, and services.
- Provide a consistent means of collecting community input as part of AFD Strategic Plan.
The deadline to apply is March 17. Fill out an application today at AFD Citizens Fire Academy!