Webpage also launched for assistance specific
to Western North Carolina
ASHEVILLE – FEMA has opened two Document Drop-off Centers — one in Buncombe County and one in Transylvania County — for survivors of Tropical Storm Fred to submit any required supporting documents for their disaster assistance application. Survivors may also register with FEMA at the sites.
The drop-off centers are located at:
- Buncombe County Interchange Building, 59 Woodfin Place, Asheville, 28801 (drive-up service only)
- Transylvania Public Library, 212 S. Gaston St., Brevard, NC 28712 (walk-in service only)
Hours are Saturday – Thursday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday noon to 5 p.m. The centers will cease operations at 5 p.m. Sept. 30.
FEMA staff will be available at both sites to help with registration, scan documents, update applications or answer questions about disaster assistance. Following COVID-19 protocols, masks are required at these facilities.
Survivors who have been asked by FEMA to provide additional documents should read their FEMA letter carefully and make sure they have everything they need when they arrive at the drop-off center. Applicants do not have to visit a center to submit documents to FEMA. They can mail, fax or submit them online. Information on these options can be found in their FEMA letter.
Documents also may be submitted in any of the following ways:
- Mail: FEMA Individuals and Households Program, National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-7055.
- Fax: 800-827-8112. Attention: FEMA.
- Submit via a FEMA online account. To set up an online account, visit DisasterAssistance.gov, click on “Apply Online” and follow the directions.
Survivors can apply for disaster assistance at DisasterAssistance.gov, by calling 800-621-3362, or by using the FEMA mobile app. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service. Lines are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. local time, seven days a week.
The deadline for applications is Nov. 8, 2021.
For more information about Tropical Storm Fred recovery in North Carolina, visit fema.gov/disaster/4617 and ncdps.gov/TSFred.
FEMA, SBA helping those affected by Tropical Storm Fred in Buncombe County