City Manager, Debra Campbell, provided an update to Asheville City Council on the City’s response to homelessness at the January 11 meeting.
- Homelessness is a community-wide issue that requires a community-wide response.
- The City is responding daily while also working with partners on longer term solutions to address homelessness. Community opinions differ on best approaches.
- City continues to address criminal behavior as well as increased monitoring and clean-up of parks and other public property.
- City has procedures it implements when homeless camps occur on publicly or privately owned property with safety of the campers, the general public and staff always being the highest priority.
- Encampments are unsafe and not solutions to homelessness.
- City’s goal is to move beyond managing homelessness to ending homelessness.