The U.S. Cellular Center is accepting applications from qualified volunteer groups to assist in the concessions operations when needed at the U.S. Cellular Center.
USCC Concessions Volunteer Program goals
Primary goal: Supplement paid part time and temporary/seasonal staffing for large events held at the facility. Due to the infrequency of events requiring large numbers of staff, the center struggles to retain enough staff on payroll to fulfill all needs for a large arena concert or special event. In the case of these large events, the center offers the opportunity for volunteer groups to work in concession stands as a fundraising opportunity.
Secondary goal: Provide local volunteer groups with the opportunity to raise funds for their given organization.
- Applications must be submitted via email to Assistant Food & Beverage Manager Anthony Sforza at firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the U.S. Cellular Center box office between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday – Friday by 5 p.m. Aug. 17.
- Questions may be submitted to Anthony Sforza via email by 3 p.m. Aug. 10. Answers to all questions will be compiled and sent to all interested groups by 5 p.m. Aug. 14.
- Applications can be found at this link.
Potential group earnings
Volunteer groups working with the U.S. Cellular Center will earn percentages of sales on a commission basis while volunteering with the facility. Groups will earn 10% of gross food and nonalcoholic beverage sales and 5% of gross alcoholic beverage sales.
The U.S. Cellular Center sets a minimum commission on each location guaranteeing a group at least $150 or $250 per night dependent on the given assigned location.
As a group becomes more experienced it can be expected that earnings will increase as experience typically breeds efficiency which in turn breeds increased sales volume and therefore increases commission amounts.
The earnings averages listed below include cash donations. Groups working in concession stand locations or at portable bars may place donation jars on the counter tops. The jars must be plastic and must clearly state that all donated funds are to be given directly to the group.
- In Fiscal Year 2016, the U.S. Cellular Center contributed to over $58,000 in payments to the volunteer groups. Lowest group earnings for a given event was $250 and the highest was $6,024. Volunteer groups covered a total of 64 event shifts throughout the year.
- In Fiscal Year 2017, the U.S. Cellular Center contributed to over $81,000 in payments to the volunteer groups. Lowest group earnings for a given event was $250 and the highest was $8,184. Volunteer groups covered a total of 69 event shifts throughout the year.
- In Fiscal Year 2018, the U.S. Cellular Center contributed to over $66,000 in payments to the volunteer groups. Lowest group earnings for a given event was $250 and the highest was $4,526. Volunteer groups covered a total of 100 event shifts throughout the year.
Groups can expect on average to be requested to work 8 event shifts annually dependent on event schedule. Total need for staffing levels in the facility is dictated by total ticket sales or expected sales leading into a given event. There will be times that ticket sales in the last week prior to an event will require the addition of a volunteer group. When this occurs groups may be asked to work an event with less than 5 days notice.
U.S. Cellular Center Food & Beverage staff commits to request volunteer groups for events with as much advance notice as possible, but short lead times prior to events may occur. Upon signing up for the program, each group recognizes the below highlight events in which the group will be needed.
Scheduling will be handled by the facility’s Food & Beverage Manager or designee and will be handled over email and phone. There is no guarantee of a minimum number of shifts or earnings that a given group will receive annually.
For more information about upcoming events, including a full list of announced events at the U.S. Cellular Center Asheville, please visit USCellularCenterAsheville.com.