Outdoor Special Events Office – a division of the (new) Department of Community & Regional Entertainment Facilities

Permitting Outdoor Special Events on Public Property

including City Streets, Sidewalks, and Parks 

New Submittal Deadlines & Fees (effective 7.1.22)

Public Space Inquiry Forms, Event Applications, and Amendments to Event Applications are accepted according to the table below. 

Application Deadlines        

     Earliest Inquiry Form Accepted     
Allow 2 weeks for consideration.)

     Latest Inquiry Form Accepted      

     Latest Application Accepted      

     Amendment Deadline      

Type 1: <500 Total Attd.

6 months

8 weeks

6 weeks

4 weeks

Type 2: <8000 Total Attd.

6 months

14 weeks

3 months

4 weeks

Type 3:  8000+ Total Attd.

6 months

18 weeks

4 months

6 weeks

Neighborhood Block Party

6 months

8 weeks

6 weeks

4 weeks

Commercial Film/Photo



As determined

As determined


New OSE Application Fee Schedule (effective 7.1.22)

Event Level                      



Application level 1

-Less than 500 attendance

-No alcohol

-Run/ride contained to park/greenway


Application level 2

-Less than 8k attendance

-All events w/ alcohol

-All events requiring law enforcement

-Run/ride not contained to park/greenway


Application level 3

-Greater than 8k attendance



19-20 Outdoor Special Event Guide Cover Image

  Step 1: Review the *Outdoor Special Event Guide. A comprehensive guide to fees, timelines, policies, and production requirements.

(*The event guide for FY 22-23 is not yet complete. The update includes increased fees for applications, property use, parking, street closures, and other services. Please check with our office for a quote in the interim.)

  Step 2: Click here if you’d like to schedule a one-on-one phone call or office visit for questions and assistance.

  Step 3: Check our working calendar of the year’s public space uses currently in planning.

  Step 4: Submit a Public Space Inquiry Form with your top 3 preferred locations and dates for the event. (6 months in adv. max.)

  Step 5: We’ll be back in touch in 2 weeks with an invitation to apply, including a link to the required applications and forms.


outdoor special event resource librarySpecial Event Resource Library

A document of links to resources such as…

Supplemental application forms, information on event safety, food service, local event service providers, city property information and maps, a checklist tool for the City’s permitting requirements with due dates, and much more. 



Google Group buttonStay Connected – Join the Group!

Group members receive general alerts and advisories, information and updates on event production, regulatory and procedure changes, and industry news on trends and best practices. Group members are encouraged to actively participate, share opportunities to collaborate on projects, ask for peer feedback on ideas, highlight new events that are in search of vendors or contracted services. Request to join here.


Street Performer Guidelines

Permits are not required for sidewalk performers who wish to busk downtown during periods when sidewalks, streets, and parks are not otherwise reserved for outdoor special events.

Busking etiquette from the Asheville Buskers Collective – take two hour turns, watch your crowd size, keep your amps turned down and rules from the City – avoid obstructing sidewalks, doorways or streets and provide a minimum of 6 feet of pedestrian passageway. No selling or displays of any tangible good in exchange for money or donation is allowed. Performances may only be between the hours of 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.


Map Image

(Temporarily Suspended) Special Event Location Map – 2 Week Outlook

The locations of permitted special events on public property are one of many features available to view within the Operational Layers on the City’s ArcGIS geographic information system. Click here to view a map of outdoor special event locations, timeframes, and event contact information. The map is updated once each week for the following two-week period. The ArcGIS system also allows for additional features to be added by clicking the Layers icon in the upper right-hand corner of the map. Additional features include the locations of nearby parking garages, public restrooms, ART bus routes and stops, bike routes, greenways, parks, streets, sidewalks, and public art.


Outdoor Special Events held on a Privately-Owned Property?

You will not need to consult with or apply for permits through this office for events held exclusively and entirely within indoor or outdoor privately-owned properties. Instead, please visit the Development Services Department located in the Public Works Building at 161 South Charlotte Street (828-259-5846) to apply for the appropriate temporary use permits with a residential or commercial permit facilitator.

A Temporary Use Permit Application for an event held on a privately-owned property will most often require:

  1. Site map showing details of proposed temporary uses
  2. Proof of property ownership or lease
  3. List of contractors (electrical, tent/inflatable rental services, construction) involved in the event
  4. An Emergency Action Plan

Electronic Submittal: To submit your application electronically, please use this form to attach and transmit the application with attachments for review.  Upon receipt of the submission, a permit facilitator will be in touch to collect fees and advise of the next steps.

Contact Information

Jon Fillman, Community Event Manager

Department of Community & Regional Entertainment Facilities

Asheville City Hall
70 Court Plaza, Floor 5
Asheville, NC 28801

Mailing Address
PO Box 7148,
Asheville, NC, 28802


Impact of special events report