Commercial Filming & Photography

The Community & Economic Development Department manages permitting, location agreements, and city service coordination for all commercial filming and photography work involving city-owned property, sidewalks, streets, and parks. Commercial filming and photography is permitted under the same conditions as other outdoor special event uses of public property in Asheville. A permit may not be required for small scale projects that do not require the reservation of public space, closure of streets/sidewalks/parking, use of generators, structures or unusual scenes.

To begin, please review the City of Asheville’s Outdoor Special Event Guide and contact our office at your convenience. 

Application Forms

Commercial Filming Directives

Outdoor Special Event Permit Application

Emergency Action Plan  (required only when area of work is confined or roads closed)

Documentation of Street Closure Notification (required only when streets will need to be fully closed)

Outdoor Special Event Permit Amendment (a cover sheet for submitting a revised application)

Contact Information

Click here to schedule an appointment for consultation, or application review and intake.

Jon Fillman, Outdoor Event Manager
Phone: (828) 259-5738

Angelica Driver, Event Coordinator
Phone: (828) 259-5844

Community & Economic Development Department
70 Court Plaza, 5th Floor
Asheville, NC 28801

(Mailing Address: PO Box 7148, Asheville, NC, 28802)