Recruitment & Careers
The Asheville Police Department is committed to recruiting, selecting and training a diverse, qualified workforce to serve the Asheville community. The department is a dynamic organization made up of exceptional men and women of unrivaled caliber, skills, and talents. The department is a nationally accredited agency and an equal opportunity employer. Call (877) 807-6258 for more information.
Salary and Benefits
The Asheville Police Department offers a competitive starting annual salary of $35,369-$39,041 for Police Officers and $34,009 for Police Officer Trainees. All uniforms and equipment are provided by the agency. Other benefits include:
- 7.07% employer contribution to Local Government Employees' Retirement System
- 5% employer contribution to 401(K)
- 457 retirement plan (optional)
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts (optional)
- Limited tuition reimbursement
- Paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave
The selection process usually takes up to three months after an application is received. Position availability is dependent upon vacancies within the department. The hiring process includes:
- Initial Review
- Entrance Exam & Police Officer Physical Agility Test (Officer Trainees only)
- Background Investigation
- Panel Interview
- Drug Screen
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Exam
- Management Review/Chief Review
Police Officer Requirements
Major requirements to become an Asheville Police Officer or include:
- Be at least 20 years of age at time of application.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be in good physical condition with no obvious condition which will impair the performance of duty, pass a physical examination, and physical fitness assessment.
- Must meet vision, hearing, and other physical requirements.
- A high school diploma and/or GED is required. Preference will be given to applicants with advanced degrees and/or military service with an honorable discharge. For more information on educational requirements, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Must not have any felony convictions and no serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years.
- Valid driver’s license required with no suspensions of driving privileges in the past three years.
- Must satisfactorily pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a polygraph examination.
- Must satisfactorily pass a psychological evaluation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a screening test for drugs.
- Tattoos and Body Modifications
- Tattoos, brandings or intentional scarring are not permitted on the face, neck, ears, scalp, or hands (exceptions may be made for permanent makeup)
- Tattoos, brandings, or intentional scarring that are gang related; that convey sexual, racial, religious, ethnic, or related intolerances; or that portray derogatory or offensive characterizations contrary to the values of the department are prohibited.
- Intentional, non-medical body modification that cannot be concealed or eliminated is prohibited (e.g., split tongues or facial implants).
Criminal History: Any conviction of a felony; a crime for which the punishment could have been more than two years; conviction of a crime or unlawful act defined as Class B Misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years; conviction of two (2) or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as Class A Misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years; a DUI or DWI conviction in the last ten (10) years.
Drugs: Any involvement in the sale of illegal drugs; any prior use of hallucinogenic drug such as LSD; use of any illegal drug within the past two (2) years; any use of hard drugs such as cocaine or heroin.
Other: Dishonorable discharge from any military service; intentionally withholding information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with the position; deliberate inaccuracies or incomplete statements; cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position.
Asheville Police Department
Recruitment & Career Development Section
The Asheville Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer
La ciudad de Asheville es un empleador con igualdad de oportunidade