Applications closed - Firefighter
Firefighter (tentative hiring schedule)
The City of Asheville application period for the position of firefighter is generally open June through July 22. To be notified when the position is posted, please fill out a job interest card. If interested, please apply online.
Thank you for your interest in our hiring process. The Asheville Fire Department's hiring process is as follows:
- Practice dates for AFD Physical Ability Test will be held at 20 Canoe Lane, Asheville, NC 28804.
- Written Human Relations and Comprehensive Exams
- View Comprehensive Examination Battery for more information
There is an optional online practice test for $10. Choose CEB Candidate Orientation Guide when selecting the test to practice
- View Video-Based Human Relations Test information sheet
- This site (https://ergopracticetests.com/?FTB) links to an optional online practice test for $22.95
- Description of Tasks to be Performed or Watch AFDPAT Video (Full length video)
Tentative Hiring Schedule:
Physical Ability Practice sessions: To be announced.
The written exam takes approximately 3-4 hours to complete and dates are set for: TBA
Physical Ability testing TBA
Panel Interviews TBA
Chief Interviews TBA
Completion of all pre-employment conditional requirements will be completed by first of November. ALL new hires will be required to complete AFD's Fire Academy regardless of prior experience or certifications.
All dates are subject to change.
Basic Employment Requirements
High School Diploma or GED
18 years or older Valid Drivers License
Excellent physical condition
Successful completion of all testing components
Successful completion of thorough background check
Successful completion of drug and alcohol screening
Starting Salary $32,307/year