We are no longer accepting applications.
The application period closed July 24th, 2017 at 5 p.m.
Firefighter Trainee Applicant Tentative Hiring Schedule
Thank you for your interest in our hiring process. The Asheville Fire Department's hiring process is as follows:
- Written Human Relations and Comprehensive Exams will be held August 3rd, August 5th and August 6th. Qualified applicants will get notification of their assigned exam date and time.
- Practice dates for AFD Physical Ability Test will be held at 20 Canoe Lane, Asheville, NC 28804. Sign ups for practice dates will be available on written exam dates.
- AFD Physical Ability Testing will be held at 20 Canoe Lane, Asheville 28804 August 21st - August 26th. (Map)
- Panel Interviews are scheduled September 5th - September 13th.
- Chief Interviews are scheduled September 18th - September 22nd.
- AFD Fire Academy will begin January 8, 2018.
Completion of all pre-employment conditional requirements will be completed by first of December. ALL new hires will be required to complete AFD's Fire Academy regardless of prior experience or certifications.
All dates are subject to change
- View Comprehensive Examination Battery for more information
There is an optional online practice test for $10. Choose CEB Candidate Orientation Guide when selecting the test to practice
- View Video-Based Human Relations Test information sheet
- This site (https://ergopracticetests.com/?FTB) links to an optional online practice test for $22.95
- Description of Tasks to be Performed or Watch AFDPAT Video (Full length video)
Basic Employment Requirements:
High School Diploma or GED
18 years or older Valid Drivers License
Excellent physical condition
Successful completion of all testing components
Successful completion of thorough background check
Successful completion of drug and alcohol screening
Starting Salary $32,630/year