Police Reports and Records

The Records Unit is dedicated to providing public access to Asheville Police Department records including incident and accident reports. Copies of such records may be acquired from the unit as described below.

Personnel in this unit are responsible for taking non-emergency related reports, maintaining accident and incident reports and managing non-emergency phone communications. Citizens can obtain towed vehicle release information from this unit.

How to Request a Police Report

You may obtain a police report at no cost in one of three ways:

  1. Visit the Asheville Police Department's Records Unit located in the lobby of Police Department Headquarters (also referred to as the Municipal Building).
  2. Print a copy of a report at home using the Police-to-Citizen tool.  
  3. Send your request with a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Asheville Police Department Records Unit, P.O. Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802

How to Check on a Warrant

To check on warrants that were taken out against you, or warrants that you have taken out on another person, you must contact the Buncombe County Magistrates Office located in the Buncombe County Court House. This must be done in person.

Fingerprints for Employment and Local Criminal History Checks

If you need the above services, go to the Buncombe County Bureau of Identification located at 20 Davidson Drive, Asheville, NC 28801. Please use the above link to find times of operation, identifications needed for services, costs and limitations on services.

Applying for a Gun Permit

To apply for a gun permit, you will need to contact the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office. They are located at  60 Court Plaza, Asheville NC 28801. For additional information you may visit their website or call (828) 250-6670.


Asheville Police Department Records Unit
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday
Phone: (828) 259-5870
Jeanette Sams, Central Records Unit Supervisor
Direct Phone Line: (828) 259-5890
E-mail: jsams@ashevillenc.gov