THE NEXT REGULAR MEETING OF CITY COUNCIL WILL BE HELD ON AUGUST 25, 2015, BEGINNING AT 5:00 P.M. IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LOCATED ON THE 2ND FLOOR OF CITY HALL.
PLEASE FIND BELOW THE COMPLETE ON-LINE AGENDA FROM COUNCIL'S LAST REGULAR MEETING FOR YOUR CONTINUED REVIEW.
PLEASE CONTACT CITY CLERK MAGGIE BURLESON AT MBURLESON@ASHEVILLENC.GOV IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.
July 28, 2015 - 5:00 p.m.
Council Chamber - 2nd Floor - City Hall
The following has been set as the tentative agenda for the July 28, 2015, regular meeting of the City Council. Information regarding City employees is governed by N.C. Gen. Stat. sec. 160A-168 – Council does not consider personnel matters in open session. At the conclusion of this agenda the meeting will be open for the presentation of other matters by members of Council and the public. Public comment will not be taken on items as to which no Council action will be taken at this meeting, including those items listed as reports or presentations or as discussion items. When Council action is anticipated as to any matter, it will be placed on a Council agenda for consideration, and public comment will be taken at that time.
Pledge of Allegiance
- Introduction of new Water Resources Director Jade Dundas and new Police Chief Tammy Hooper
- Proclamation proclaiming July 30, 2015, as "Elvis in Asheville Day"
II. CONSENT AGENDA:
A. Approval of the minutes of the formal meeting held on June 23, 2015. Documents
B. Second reading of Ordinance No. 4427, an ordinance adopting a new franchise agreement with ExteNet Systems to run fiber optic cable in our
C. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into an agreement with the N.C. Dept. of Transportation to fund the Apprentice/Intern Program
for Fiscal Year 2015-16. Documents
D. Resolutions authorizing the possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages and/or unfortified wine at the following events: Documents
1. 5 Point Film Festival Kickoff Party on August 14, 2015
2. Goombay Festival on September 11, 12 and 13, 2015
3. Venture Local Fair on September 26, 2015
E.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to accept Community Waste Reduction and Recycling grant funds from the N.C. Dept. of Environment
and Natural Resources to develop a public housing recycling pilot project. Documents
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $25,950, from the N.C. Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources and the Special Revenue Fund to
develop a public housing recycling pilot project.
F. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with Kimley-Horn and Associates Inc. to conduct Phase II of a parking study
along the Haywood Road Corridor in West Asheville. Documents
G. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to sign a one-year contract for physician services with Dr. Paul Martin, MD, d/b/a Asheville Addiction
Consultants, PA to continue to provide physician services to employees, retirees and their families. Documents
H. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute change orders to the agreement with CDM Smith for engineering and design services for the
River Arts District Transportation Improvement Project and Five Points Roundabout. Documents
I. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with Gulf Coast LLC to provide the right of way services that are needed for the
River Arts District Transportation Improvement Project. Documents
J. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Beaucatcher Commons LLC for the improvement of Nancy
K. Resolution directing the City Clerk to advertise for upset bids for the sale of 110 square feet of air rights at 723 Haywood Road to Douglas R.
L. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease agreement with Kevin T. and Lisa A. Fox for office and medical space located at
155 Biltmore Avenue for the Health Services Office. Documents
M. Resolution of intent to permanently close an unnamed alley between Wyoming Road and Keebler Road and setting a public hearing on
September 8, 2015. Documents
N. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into an agreement with the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office concerning DWI Task Force
O. Budget amendments:
1. Budget amendment, in the amount of $28,200, to accept a federal pass through grant in the amount of $19,000 from the National Park
Service Historic Preservation Fund via the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office; and to dedicate local matching funds from
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College in the amount of $9,200 for the rehabilitation of the Smith-McDowell House. Documents
2. In the Stormwater Fund, in the amount of $414,000, to budget the purchase of equipment funded through installment loan proceeds for
stormwater equipment. Documents
III. Presentations and Reports:
A. Legislative Update
CITY COUNCIL HAS ESTABLISHED THE FOLLOWING TIME LIMITS FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS:
· APPLICANTS HAVE UP TO TEN MINUTES TO COMPLETE A PRESENTATION.
· ELECTRONIC PRESENTATIONS ARE LIMITED TO AGENDA ITEMS WITH PRESENTATION MATERIALS PROVIDED PRIOR TO
THE MEETING BY CITY STAFF, APPLICANTS, OR ORGANIZED OPPOSITION.
· INDIVIDUALS HAVE UP TO THREE MINUTES TO SPEAK TO CITY COUNCIL.
· A PERSON REPRESENTING A GROUP OF THREE OR MORE PERSONS (NOT INCLUDING THE SPEAKER) PRESENT IN THE
COUNCIL CHAMBER HAS UP TO 10 MINUTES TO ADDRESS CITY COUNCIL.
· PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD FOR ANY ITEM MAY NOT EXCEED ONE HOUR.
· ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE PROVIDED IN HARD COPY AND/OR WRITTEN FORM.
IV. PUBLIC HEARINGS;
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Ordinance amendment to the City Animal Ordinance removing exemptions for circuses and animal exhibitions related to wild animals and
other clarifying revisions. Documents
B. Review of enhancement plan for parking garage operations and maintenances
- Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with Chartwell Staffing Solutions for temporary services in the parking
VII. INFORMAL DISCUSSION AND PUBLIC COMMENT:
BOARDS & COMMISSIONS: The City is accepting applications for the Planning & Zoning Commission. That deadline is Tuesday, August 25, 2015, at 5:00 p.m. Call 259-5601 for an application form.