Garbage Collection

In This Section


    The City of Asheville will replace the $3.50 monthly recycling fee with a $7 monthly solid waste fee beginning July 1, 2013.  Read more about the upcoming change here or access our frequently asked questions bulletin.

    Determining Your Collection Day

    The City of Asheville collects regular household trash once per week. Collection days are based on where you live in the city. The easiest way to determine your collection day is to view the Collection Schedule Map – it shows collection days by geographic area.

    Holiday Schedule

    The sanitation division will be closed on the following holidays: Thanksgiving and Christmas. If one of these holidays fall on a normal collection day, trash service will be suspended for that day and will resume the day after, pushing trash collection back one day. For example, if a holiday occurs on a Tuesday, Tuesday collection will occur on Wednesday, Wednesday collections will occur on Thursday, and Thursday collections will take place on Friday. Residents should place containers at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on their collection day, and containers should be removed from the curb no later than 11 p.m. on the same day.

    Reporting Missed Garbage

    Contact the City of Asheville Customer Service Division at (828) 251-1122, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

    Special Services Assistance

    The City of Asheville has a "special service" policy for residents who are unable to get their trash and/or recyclables to the curb on their collection days. The Code of Ordinances, Chapter 15 Solid Waste Management, Section 15-48 Special Service states: "Hardship cases such as age, disability or infirmity, when confirmed by the Solid Waste Manager may be afforded the special service of refuse carryout and carry-back upon application." For further information and an application, download the Special Service Form (requires Acrobat Reader).

    About Automated Collection

    What can be placed in the roll cart containers?

    Only bagged household trash can be placed in the roll cart containers. Do not place yard waste, brush or any construction debris in the roll carts. In addition, only 95 gallon roll carts issued by the city can be used with automated collection. Trash left outside the container will not be collected, and containers that are overfilled, blocked or turned the wrong way cannot be emptied.

    What can not be placed in the roll cart containers?

    • Grass Clippings - Homeowners may compost or leave grass on yard to fertilize lawn.
    • Garden Waste - Including vines and waste from flower or vegetable garden, i.e., corn husks, etc.
    • Medical Waste - Call your medical provider for advice on where to dispose of this material.
    • Construction & Building Materials - Bricks, cement, lumber, plaster, roofing material and sheet rock can be taken to the landfill by homeowner. Call (828) 250-5462.
    • Auto Parts - Antifreeze, motor filters, scrap parts, batteries and tires. Most stores will take car batteries. Tires can be taken to the landfill by homeowner.
    • Hazardous Waste - Any liquid or petroleum products such as motor oil, brake fluid, paint, paint thinner, lead acid batteries, wood preservatives and wood stains, drain and oven cleaners, poison, herbicides, pesticides, etc.
    Where should containers be placed?

    Carts must be placed at least five feet from obstacles such as utility poles, mailboxes, trees, and parked cars. Carts must be within two feet of the curb edge. Make sure the container handle faces away from the street toward your home.

    How can I get an additional container?

    One roll cart has a 95 gallon capacity and will be sufficient for most households. Additional carts can be provided for a monthly fee of $7.00, which is included on water bills. Call (828) 251-1122 for information about getting an additional cart.

    Buncombe County Landfill and Transfer Station

    Residents can take their waste items directly to the Buncombe County Landfill or Transfer Station for disposal.  For disposal information call Buncombe County at (828) 250-5460.



    Transfer Station

    Stay Connected