DRUG FREE WORK POLICY
The City of Asheville is a drug-free workplace employer. The Asheville City Council has adopted a policy requiring city construction and service contractors to provide a drug-free workplace in the performance of any city contract.
In order to be eligible to submit a bid or proposal for a City construction or service contract, a prospective contractor must certify that it will, if awarded the contract, provide a drug-free workplace during the performance of the contract.
This requirement is met by:
- Notifying employees that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance is prohibited in the workplace and specifying the actions that will be taken for violations of such violation.
- Establishing a drug-free awareness program to inform about the dangers of drug abuse in the workplace, the contractor’s policy of maintaining of drug-free workplace, any available drug counseling, rehabilitation, and employee assistance programs, and penalties that may be imposed upon employees for a drug violation.
- Notifying each employee that as a condition of employment, the employee will abide by the terms of prohibition outlined in (A) above and notify the contractor of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace not later than (5) days after such conviction.
- Notifying the City of Asheville within ten (10) days after receiving from an employee a notice of criminal drug statute conviction or after otherwise receiving actual notice of such conviction.
- Imposing a sanction on, or requiring the satisfactory participation in drug counseling, rehabilitation or abuse program by, an employee convicted of a drug crime.
- Making a good faith effort to continue to maintain a drug-free workplace for employees.
If the prospective vendor is an individual, the drug-free workplace requirement is met by not engaging in the unlawful manufacturer, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance in the performance of the contract..
By submitting a request for proposal, a prospective primary vendor certifies that it and all sub-vendors will comply with the City of Asheville drug- free workplace requirement. A false certification or the failure to comply with the above drug-free workplace requirements during the performance of contract shall be grounds for suspension, termination, or debarment.