EMPLOYMENT & RECRUITMENT
The Asheville Police Department is committed to recruiting, selecting and training a diverse, qualified workforce to serve the Asheville community. The department is a dynamic organization made up of exceptional men and women of unrivaled caliber, skills and talents. The department is a nationally accredited agency and an equal opportunity employer. Call (877) 807-6258 for more information.
The selection process usually takes up to three months after an application is received. Position availability is dependent upon vacancies within the department. The hiring process includes:
- Initial Review
- Entrance Exam & Police Officer Physical Agility Test (Officer Trainees only)
- Background Investigation
- Panel Interview
- Drug Screen
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Exam
- Management Review/Chief Review
Salary & Benefits
The Asheville Police Department offers a competitive starting annual salary of $35,369-$39,041 for Police Officers and $34,009 for Police Officer Trainees. All uniforms and equipment are provided by the agency. Other benefits include:
- 7.07% employer contribution to Local Government Employees' Retirement System
- 5% employer contribution to 401(K)
- 457 retirement plan (optional)
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts (optional)
- Limited tuition reimbursement
- Paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave
Major requirements to become an Asheville Police Officer or include:
- At least 20 years of age at time of application.
- Must be in good physical condition with no obvious condition which will impair the performance of duty.
- Must pass a physical examination, and physical fitness assessment.
- Must meet vision, hearing, and other physical requirements.
- Educational requirement is minimum high school diploma and / or GED. Preference will be given to applicants with advanced degrees and / or military service with an honorable discharge. For more information on educational requirements, contact Sgt. Flanigan-Bryson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- No felony convictions and no serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years.
- Valid driver’s license required; no suspensions of driving privileges in the past three years.
- Must satisfactorily pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a polygraph examination.
- Must satisfactorily pass a psychological evaluation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a screening test for drugs.
- Must satisfactorily pass a health screening.
- Tattoo Policy
- All applicants are required to reveal any tattoos, brands and/or piercings to the Recruitment and Career Development Commander. You are prohibited from acquiring any visible tattoos, brands or body piercings (other than conventional earring piercing) while employed at the Asheville Police Department. Violation will result in discipline and possible termination. Any visible tattoos on arms or legs revealed at this time will be covered with long sleeves or long pants and any head and/or neck tattoos will be covered up with appropriate clothing such as moleskin while on duty or representing the Asheville Police Department.
Criminal History: Any conviction of a felony; a crime for which the punishment could have been more than two years; conviction of a crime or unlawful act defined as Class B Misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years; conviction of two (2) or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as Class A Misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years; a DUI or DWI conviction in the last ten (10) years.
Drugs: Any involvement in the sale of illegal drugs; any prior use of hallucinogenic drug such as LSD; use of any illegal drug within the past two (2) years; any use of hard drugs such as cocaine or heroin.
Other: Dishonorable discharge from any military service; intentionally withholding information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with the position; deliberate inaccuracies or incomplete statements; cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position.
The City of Asheville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Asheville Police Department Recruitment & Development Unit
Contact: Sergeant Tammy Flanigan-Bryson
Toll Free: 1-877-807-6258
Office: (828) 259-5899
Main line: (828) 259-5934