EMPLOYMENT & RECRUITMENT
The Asheville Police Department is committed to recruiting, selecting and training a diverse, qualified workforce to serve the Asheville community. The department is a dynamic organization made up of exceptional men and women of unrivaled caliber, skills and talents. The department is a nationally accredited agency and an equal opportunity employer. Call (877) 807-6258 for more information.
The selection process usually takes up to three months after an application is received. Selection depends on vacancies within the department. The hiring process includes:
- Initial Review
- Entrance Exam & POPAT (Police Officer Physical Agility Test)
- Background Interview
- Panel Interview
- Drug Screen
- Background Investigation/Polygraph
- Psychological Evaluation
- Management Review/Interview with Chief
- Medical Exam
Compensation & Benefits
An entry level salary for a police officer is $33,672 - $39,755, based on training and experience. The benefits package includes 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, life insurance, disability insurance, paid medical and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement benefits, limited tuition reimbursement, training, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, and uniforms and equipment for the positions that require them. City employees may belong to the Premier Federal Credit Union or State Employees Credit Union.
What it Takes
Major requirements to become an Asheville police officer include:
- At least 20 years of age at time of application.
- Must be in good physical condition with no obvious condition which will impair the performance of duty.
- Must pass a physical examination, and physical fitness assessment.
- Must meet vision, hearing, and other physical requirements.
- Educational requirement is minimum high school diploma and / or GED. Preference will be given to applicants with advanced degrees and / or military service with an honorable discharge. For more information on educational requirements, contact Sgt. Sorrells: email@example.com.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- No felony convictions and no serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years.
- Valid driver’s license required; no suspensions of driving privileges in the past three years.
- Must satisfactorily pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a polygraph examination.
- Must satisfactorily pass a psychological evaluation.
- Must satisfactorily pass a screening test for drugs.
Criminal History: Any conviction of a felony; a crime for which the punishment could have been more than two years; conviction of a crime or unlawful act defined as Class B Misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years; conviction of two (2) or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as Class A Misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years; a DUI or DWI conviction in the last five years.
Drugs: Any involvement in the sale of illegal drugs; any prior use of hallucinogenic drug such as LSD; use of any illegal drug within the past two (2) years; any use of hard drugs such as cocaine or heroin.
Other: Dishonorable discharge from any military service; intentionally withholding information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with the position; deliberate inaccuracies or incomplete statements; cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position.
Asheville Police Department Recruitment & Development Unit
Contact: Sergeant Joe Sorrells
Toll Free: 1-877-807-6258
Office: (828) 259-5899
Main line: (828) 259-5934