Single-Family Development Permits

In This Section

Current Review Time for Residential Projects
14 - 21 Days

Typically, a new single-family residence will require a building permit, electrical permit, plumbing permit, gas piping permit, zoning permit, grading permit, sewer service approval, water service approval and a driveway access permit. The City of Asheville’s Development Services Center helps citizens and developers submit the necessary applications to receive these permits.

Permits are not required for construction, alterations, repairs or replacements that will cost five thousand dollars ($5,000) or less in any single-family residence unless the work involves: (1) the addition, repair or replacement of load bearing structures; (2) the addition (excluding same size and capacity) or change in the design of plumbing; (3) the addition, replacement or change in the design of heating, air conditioning, or electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment; or (4) the addition (excluding replacement of like grade of fire resistance) of roofing. If any of these conditions exist, a permit is required.

Procedural Change Effective July 1, 2013

The Building Code plan review process for one and two family residential interior renovations and reroof is now optional. Waiving this process will result in faster issuance of a building permit. This process reviews the proposed work for compliance with the minimum North Carolina State Building Code standards. However, plan review is not required by the state law. 

This waiver is optional. If you choose to waive, building plans will NOT be reviewed by the Development Services Department staff; drawings should be complete and include the minimum details needed for construction and inspection as prescribed by North Carolina State Building Code; and all fees will remain the same.

Single Family Residential Zoning Information

If you are building a new home, deck, or shed, information is available to help you determine the setback regulations required by zoning. Follow these steps to obtain this information:
  • Determine the zoning of your property using the mapAsheville service.
  • Find the page in the Single Family Residential Setback Guide that corresponds to your zoning. This document will demonstrate the required front, side, and rear setbacks as well as what encroachments (decks, architectural features, sheds, etc.) are allowed within the setbacks.

Information Required for Permit Applications

Contact Information

Development Services Department
Location: 161 S. Charlotte St.
Hours: 7:30  a.m.- 5:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday
Phone: (828) 259-5846
Fax:  (828) 259-5676

Stay Connected