The next meeting of the Asheville City Council will be held on December 10, 2013. At 4:00 p.m., City Council will hold their organizational meeting (swearing in ceremony) in the Council Chamber. At 5:00 p.m. City Council will hold their regular formal meeting in the Council Chamber.
Below please find City Council's last meeting for your continued review.
Please contact City Clerk Maggie Burleson at email@example.com if you have questions.
City Council Regular Meeting – November 12, 2013 - 5:00 p.m.
City Hall Building
The following has been set as the agenda for the November 12, 2013, regular meeting of the City Council. Information regarding City employees is governed by N.C. Gen. Stat. sec. 160A-168 – Council does not consider personnel matters in open session. At the conclusion of this agenda the meeting will be open for the presentation of other matters by members of Council and the public. Public comment will not be taken on items as to which no Council action will be taken at this meeting, including those items listed as reports or presentations or as discussion items. When Council action is anticipated as to any matter, it will be placed on a Council agenda for consideration, and public comment will be taken at that time.
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation to be given by Mayor Bellamy.
II. CONSENT AGENDA:
A. Approval of the minutes of the meeting held on October 22, 2013. Documents
B.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to accept a non-matching Grant Adjustment Notice from the N.C. Dept. of Crime Control and Public Safety,
Division of Emergency Management, for the procurement of equipment and training to be used by Hazardous Materials Regional Response Team
6 - Asheville. Documents
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $17,500, for the N.C. Dept. of Crime Control and Public Safety non-matching grant.
C. Resolution authorizing the City of Asheville to participate in Duke Energy Progress’ new energy efficiency program and to enter into sole source provider
contract for the purchase and installation of energy efficient lighting in City parking decks. Documents
D. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to renew a contract with SiteMed for the 2013-14 firefighter physicals. Documents
E.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a general services agreement with Bio-Nomic Services, Inc. for the North Fork Water Treatment Plant
Waste Lagoon # 3 Dredging and Sludge Removal and Disposal Project. Documents
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $201,970, from savings in other capital projects that were completed under budget for the North Fork Water
Treatment Plant Waste Lagoon # 3 Dredging and Sludge Removal and Disposal Project.
F. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with the Mills River Partnership Inc. to partially fund projects directly related to water
quality protection and/or improvement. Documents
G. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with CH Security Services, LLC for security services in the City’s parking garages for
July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2014. Documents
H. Resolution authorizing primary and secondary agents for the City of Asheville to apply for financial assistance for the severe storms that took place
during the period of July 3, 2013, through July 13, 2013, designated as a disaster and identified as FEMA–4146-DR-NC. Documents
I. Resolution amending Resolution No. 12-256 which adopted the 2013 City Council meeting schedule to change the City Council organizational meeting
from Tuesday, December 3, 2013, to Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at 4:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber, located on the 2nd Floor of City Hall. Documents
J. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute an amendment to the contract with Brantley Construction Co. to include renovations of the Mezzanine
level meeting room spaces at the U.S. Cellular Center. Documents
K. Resolution authorizing the adoption of updates to the Greenway Master Plan. Documents
L. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a contract with Patton Construction Group, Inc. for the Concrete Repair – Maintenance and Americans
with Disabilities Act Improvements Project. Documents
M.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a contract with Appalachian Paving and Concrete, Inc. for the Concrete Repair – Utility Cuts
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $172,115, from utility cut fees to cover the cost of the contract for the Concrete Repair - Utility Cuts Project.
N. Budget amendment, in the amount of $27,178, from the U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development, to accept the American Dream Downpayment
Initiative program income. Documents
III. PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS:
A. NC DOT Presentation on Diverging Diamond Interchange at I-26 and Airport Road Documents
B. Mission Health Program Update
CITY COUNCIL HAS ESTABLISHED THE FOLLOWING TIME LIMITS FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS:
• APPLICANTS HAVE UP TO TEN MINUTES TO COMPLETE A PRESENTATION.
• ELECTRONIC PRESENTATIONS ARE LIMITED TO AGENDA ITEMS WITH PRESENTATION MATERIALS PROVIDED PRIOR TO THE MEETING BY CITY STAFF,
APPLICANTS, OR ORGANIZED OPPOSITION.
• INDIVIDUALS HAVE UP TO THREE MINUTES TO SPEAK TO CITY COUNCIL.
• A PERSON REPRESENTING A GROUP OF THREE OR MORE PERSONS (NOT INCLUDING THE SPEAKER) PRESENT IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER HAS UP
TO 10 MINUTES TO ADDRESS CITY COUNCIL.
• PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD FOR ANY ITEM MAY NOT EXCEED ONE HOUR.
• ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE PROVIDED IN HARD COPY AND/OR WRITTEN FORM.
IV. PUBLIC HEARINGS:
A. Public hearing to consider an amendment to a previously approved conditional use permit for the construction of a Health and Workforce Development Facility at
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College. Documents
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
A. Concealed Handguns:
1. Ordinance amending Chapter 12 of the Code of Ordinances to revise the definition of recreational facilities where the carrying of concealed handguns
is prohibited, pursuant to state law. Documents
2. Resolution opposing Session Laws 2011-268 and 2013-369, limiting municipal authority to regulate concealed carry in municipal parks and
VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Boards & Commissions: (Council to determine who, if any, to interview) Documents
- Alcoholic Beverage Control Board Documents
- Citizens-Police Advisory Committee Documents
- Recreation Board Documents
B. Resolution appointing a member to the Asheville-Buncombe Historic Resources Commission. Documents
VII. INFORMAL DISCUSSION AND PUBLIC COMMENT: