City Council Regular Meeting – May 28, 2013 - 5:00 p.m.
City Hall Building
The following has been set as the agenda for the May 28, 2013, regular meeting of the City Council. Information regarding City employees is governed by N.C. Gen. Stat. sec. 160A-168 – Council does not consider personnel matters in open session. At the conclusion of this agenda the meeting will be open for the presentation of other matters by members of Council and the public. Public comment will not be taken on items as to which no Council action will be taken at this meeting, including those items listed as reports or presentations or as discussion items. When Council action is anticipated as to any matter, it will be placed on a Council agenda for consideration, and public comment will be taken at that time.
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation to be given by Councilman Bothwell.
- Recognition of City of Asheville Youth Leadership Academy students
II. CONSENT AGENDA:
A. Approval of the minutes of the formal meeting held on May 14, 2013; and the budget worksession held on May 17, 2013. May 14, 2013 May 17, 2013
B. Motion setting a public hearing on June 11, 2013, for adoption of the FY 2013-14 Annual Operating Budget.
C. Resolution setting a public hearing on June 11, 2013, for economic development incentives (Project X). Documents
D. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to sign an agreement for Specific Stop Loss Insurance Sun Life Assurance Company for specific stop loss
E.1. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with Buncombe County for the CTS Waterline Installation
2. Budget amendment, in the amount of $155,000, from savings in other capital projects that were completed under budget, for the CTS Waterline Installation Project.
F. Resolution authorizing the City Manager to sign a renewal of the Adopt-a-Park Agreement with Just Folks including a waiver for park use fees for Triangle Park
for Fiscal Year 2013-2014. Documents
G. Budget amendment, in the amount of $7,487, from the Herb Watts Foundation, to fund safety improvements and site enhancements at Herb Watts
H. Budget amendment, in the amount of $99,000, to authorize the use of Federal High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Funds to purchase equipment and
fund personnel costs and training for members of the Asheville HIDTA. Documents
I. Resolution authorizing the Asheville Fire Department to purchase an ICS Mobile Communications Unit Support Trailer based on standardization
III. PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS:
A. By-Laws for the Asheville Downtown Improvement District Inc. Documents
1. WNC Regional Air Quality Agency Documents
2. Legislative & Water
C. Asheville Metro Area Zero Energy District
D. Quarterly Reports:
1. Finance Committee Chair Report Documents
2. Public Safety Committee Chair Report Documents
3. Strategic Operating Plan Documents
4. Financial Documents
E. Budget Presentation Documents
CITY COUNCIL HAS ESTABLISHED THE FOLLOWING TIME LIMITS FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS:
• APPLICANTS HAVE UP TO TEN MINUTES TO COMPLETE A PRESENTATION.
• ELECTRONIC PRESENTATIONS ARE LIMITED TO AGENDA ITEMS WITH PRESENTATION MATERIALS PROVIDED PRIOR TO THE MEETING BY CITY STAFF, APPLICANTS, OR ORGANIZED OPPOSITION.
• INDIVIDUALS HAVE UP TO THREE MINUTES TO SPEAK TO CITY COUNCIL.
• A PERSON REPRESENTING A GROUP OF THREE OR MORE PERSONS (NOT INCLUDING THE SPEAKER) PRESENT IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER HAS UP TO 10 MINUTES TO ADDRESS CITY COUNCIL.
• PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD FOR ANY ITEM MAY NOT EXCEED ONE HOUR.
• ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE PROVIDED IN HARD COPY AND/OR WRITTEN FORM.
IV. PUBLIC HEARINGS:
A. Public hearing to consider a conditional zoning amendment to Asheville Academy located at 1709 Hendersonville Road to facilitate the development of a
8,215 square foot daycare facility. Documents
B. Public hearing to consider conditional zoning from RS-8 Residential Single-Family High Density District and Community Business II District to Community
Business II District/Conditional Zoning for the Biltmore Hill project located at 63 Brook Street. Documents
C. Public hearing to consider the rezoning property located on Thompson Street from River District to Urban Place District. Documents
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Resolution appointing members to the Asheville-Buncombe Historic Resources Commission. Documents
VII. INFORMAL DISCUSSION AND PUBLIC COMMENT:
BOARD/COMMISSION VACANCIES: Deadline is June 5 at 5:00 p.m. Call 259-5601 for an application form. (1) Citizens-Police Advisory Committee (vacancy must be a south representative); (2) Civic Center Commission; (3) Civil Service Board; (4) Housing Authority of the City of Asheville; (5) Public Art & Cultural Commission; and (6) Neighborhood Advisory Committee.