PLANNING & ZONING COMMISSION
The Planning and Zoning Commission is an advisory board to City Council that reviews text for proposed amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance; hears proposals to zone or change the zoning of property regulated under the UDO and then makes recommendations to City Council for final action; performs studies and surveys of the present conditions and probable future development of the City and its environs; formulates and recommends to the City Council the adoption or amendment of a comprehensive plan and other plans; reviews the terms of the UDO from time to time, as it deems appropriate, review applicants of planned unit development designation and preliminary plans; review and decide on approval of all proposed preliminary plats for major subdivision; and performs such additional powers and duties as may be set forth elsewhere in the UDO and in other laws and regulations.
The Commission consists of 7 members, 5 City residents appointed by City Council and 2 residents of the extra-territorial area of the City and appointed by Buncombe County Commissioners. The length of term of office is three years.
Chair Jeremy Goldstein - firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting Schedule - 2016
October 5, 2016 Meeting packet is available here.
- Approval of minutes from the September 7, 2016 meeting.
- Review of bond proposals and review of Council priorities presentation by Cathy Ball.
- Update and discussion of possible UDO amendments concerning residential infill.
- A wording text amendment to Article V of the Unified Development Ordinance to modify the development review procedures for Level II development applications. Planner coordinating the review – Shannon Tuch
- A wording text amendment to Article XIII of the Unified Development Ordinance to remove subsection 7-13-10. Signage Plan. Planner coordinating the review – Shannon Tuch
- A review of a request for the level II review for the construction of a three-story, 97,342 square foot academic building on 105.20 acres known as 8 Vernon Hill Road and PIN 9648-21-0661. The owner of the property is Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College and the project contact is Jon Creighton. Planner coordinating review- Vaidila Satvika
- The next meeting will be November 2, 2016 at 5 p.m.
Meeting Minutes & Audio Files
NOTE: Please use the browser Internet Explorer to listen to audio files.
Google Chrome does not support playback with Windows Media Player.
If you have need of archived documents for the Planning & Zoning Commission, please contact Patti McFarland at 828-259-5627 or email