PLANNING & ZONING COMMISSION
The Planning and Zoning Commission is an advisory board to City Council that reviews text for proposed amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance; hears proposals to zone or change the zoning of property regulated under the UDO and then makes recommendations to City Council for final action; performs studies and surveys of the present conditions and probable future development of the City and its environs; formulates and recommends to the City Council the adoption or amendment of a comprehensive plan and other plans; reviews the terms of the UDO from time to time, as it deems appropriate, review applicants of planned unit development designation and preliminary plans; review and decide on approval of all proposed preliminary plats for major subdivision; and performs such additional powers and duties as may be set forth elsewhere in the UDO and in other laws and regulations.
The Commission consists of 7 members, 5 City residents appointed by City Council and 2 residents of the extra-territorial area of the City and appointed by Buncombe County Commissioners. The length of term of office is three years.
Chair Jeremy Goldstein - email@example.com
Meeting Schedule - 2016
September 7, 2016
Meeting will begin at 5 p.m. - Meeting packet is available here.
- Approval of minutes from the August 3, 2016 meeting
- A wording text amendment to Article X of the Unified Development Ordinance for the purpose of adding a general development and performance standard regulating structures in the navigable airspace of the Asheville Regional Airport. Planner coordinating review – Shannon Tuch
- A Level II review for the construction of a seven-story hotel with 100 rooms. The project is located on 0.77 acres known as 31 College Place and PINs 9649-71-3955 with a portion of 9649.71-1811 included. The owner is 31 College Place, LLC and the project contact is Mark Cathey. Planner coordinating review –Jessica Bernstein. Variance to design and operational standards related to lot coverage on a Key Pedestrian Street as required in 7-8-18(f)(13)(c).
- A Level II review for the construction of six commercial retail buildings totaling 45,076 square feet on 7.52 acres known as 291 and 293 Long Shoals Road and PIN 9644-48-1140. The owner of the property is RDA Holdings 291 Long Shoals Road and the project contact is Alex Rodriguez. Planner coordinating review –Shannon Tuch
- A review of a request for conditional zoning from RS-8 (Residential Single Family, High Density to RS8-CZ (Residential Single Family High Density Conditional zone) to re-establish a place of worship at the property known as 25 Forsythe Street and PIN 9649-24-3580. The property owner is Greater Works Church of God and the project contact is Ron Gates. Planner coordinating review –Jessica Bernstein.
- The next meeting will be October 5, 2016 at 5 p.m.
Meeting Minutes & Audio Files
NOTE: Please use the browser Internet Explorer to listen to audio files.
Google Chrome does not support playback with Windows Media Player.
If you have need of archived documents for the Planning & Zoning Commission, please contact Patti McFarland at 828-259-5627 or email