PLANNING & ZONING COMMISSION
The Planning and Zoning Commission is an advisory board to City Council that reviews text for proposed amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance; hears proposals to zone or change the zoning of property regulated under the UDO and then makes recommendations to City Council for final action; performs studies and surveys of the present conditions and probable future development of the City and its environs; formulates and recommends to the City Council the adoption or amendment of a comprehensive plan and other plans; reviews the terms of the UDO from time to time, as it deems appropriate, review applicants of planned unit development designation and preliminary plans; review and decide on approval of all proposed preliminary plats for major subdivision; and performs such additional powers and duties as may be set forth elsewhere in the UDO and in other laws and regulations.
The Commission consists of 7 members, 5 City residents appointed by City Council and 2 residents of the extra-territorial area of the City and appointed by Buncombe County Commissioners. The length of term of office is three years.
Chair Jeremy Goldstein - email@example.com
Meeting Schedule - 2016
December 7, 2016 Meeting packet is available here.
- Approval of minutes from the November 2, 2016 meeting.
- Adoption of the Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law – Variance Denial for 31 College Place – September 7, 2016
- Motion amending the September 7, 2016, minutes to incorporate the 31 Variance Denial for 31 College Place.
- ITEM WILL BE RE-ADVERTISED AND HEARD AT THE JANUARY 4, 2017 MEETING. A request for the review of a rezoning application for these properties from O2 (Office II) to RS8 (Residential Single Family High Density) zoning district. The agent for the property owners is Darren Poupose. Planner coordinating review - Shannon Tuch.
- A request for the site plan review for the development of a four story, 37,600 square foot hotel located on 1.65 acres at 509 Tunnel Road (PIN 9658-56-2715). The applicant is Dana Bolden and the property owner is Nutan Investments, LLC. Planner coordinating review- Vaidila Satvika
- A request to review an amendment to a previously approved conditional zoning (ordinance no. 4414) in the Urban Place Conditional Zone district (UP CZ) for changes to the conditions for development of a mixed use project at the property located at 146 Roberts Street (PINs 9648-07-2183 & 9648-06-1953). The applicant is Matt Sprouse and the owner of the property is RAD Lofts LLC. Planner coordinating review – Jessica Bernstein
LEVEL III / CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT
- A request for a Level III review for the construction of an eight-story, 185 room, 178,412 square foot hotel with on-site parking located on 2.05 acres known as 192 Haywood Street and PIN 9649-20-1616, The owner of the property is PHG Asheville, LLC and the project contact is Tony Hauser. Planner coordinating review – Sasha Vrtunski
Variance Request: Variance to design and operational standards found in Section 7-8-18(f)(13)(c) of the UDO relating to lot coverage along a Key Pedestrian Street.
Variance Request: Variance to design and operational standards found in Section 7-8-18(f)(13)a.(1) (b) of the UDO relating to streetwall requirement.
- The next meeting will be January 6, 2016 at 5 p.m.
Meeting Minutes & Audio Files
NOTE: Please use the browser Internet Explorer to listen to audio files.
Google Chrome does not support playback with Windows Media Player.
If you have need of archived documents for the Planning & Zoning Commission, please contact Patti McFarland at 828-259-5627 or email