***Building Safety Permit Fee changes, effective July 1, 2014 ***
Building Safety 2014 - 2015 Fee Schedule
It is the mission of Building Safety to protect lives, health, and property in Asheville and to support economic development by providing building and development permit services while enforcing the North Carolina State Building Codes, Asheville Housing Code, and related environmental codes. Building Safety is dedicated to customer service and provides application and permitting process, plan review, and building inspection services to all areas within the Asheville City limits.
Development Services Department Hours
- Office hours are Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- All telephone inspection requests (828-259-5946) must be received by 4:30 p.m. the day before the request
- Monday inspection requests via the telephone must be received by Thursday at 4:30 p.m.
- Inspection requests received by 4:30 p.m. Thursday are automatically scheduled for Friday, unless specifically requested for the following Monday
- Inspection requests via Online Services can be made until 7:00 a.m. the day of the inspection
- Inspections will be performed on Friday
- Permit Application Center: The Permit Application Center processes permit applications, coordinates with other City of Asheville development departments, and issues permits upon approvals. The center also issues Certificates of Occupancy and Temporary Certificates of Occupancy when applications and approvals from all departments are complete.
- Plan Review: The division performs building plan review for all one and two-family dwellings as well as commercial and multi-family plan review.
- Inspection Services: The Inspection Services Division provides residential and commercial inspections and enforcement of the North Carolina State Building Code.
Permit Application Center
Location: Public Works Building, 161 S. Charlotte St.
Mailing: Post Office Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802
Hours: 7:30 a.m.- 5:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday
Phone: (828) 259-5846